SlimLine tube length ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Willee

I have noticed there is a difference in tube length between SlimLine pen kits.

Hut kits are about .1" longer than some of the other SlimLine pen kits.
That is not much difference unless you are using PSI quick blanks and Hut pen kits.
The tubes stick out of the blanks.

Picky huh?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

Hey Willie,
When I started pen turning, I bought a starter kit from PSI, which included the lathe, pen kits and blanks. After reading several posts on here I went to my friend that has a machine shop and had him to order me a 60 degree live center and dead center. In their advertising they stated that the kit contained everything need to turn pens, that was not true. They did not include the 60 degree live center to go into the end of the mandrel. I also found out that the quick blanks that were predrilled were to short. Lesson well noted.

Willee

Hey Willie,
When I started pen turning, I bought a starter kit from PSI, which included the lathe, pen kits and blanks. After reading several posts on here I went to my friend that has a machine shop and had him to order me a 60 degree live center and dead center. In their advertising they stated that the kit contained everything need to turn pens, that was not true. They did not include the 60 degree live center to go into the end of the mandrel. I also found out that the quick blanks that were predrilled were to short. Lesson well noted.

You can always add a trim ring (something I often do anyhow) if the blank is a bit short.
But if the tube is short there is not much you can do except make a longer center band from some wood or corian.

No big deal ... just noticed a difference when I added some new kits to my parts box.

its_virgil

slimlinmes are very forgiving and tube length is not really critical...up to a point, at least. You can just trim the tube back when you square the ends. Press the transmission in a little farther than normal and all should be fine. don

Hey Willie,

You can always add a trim ring (something I often do anyhow) if the blank is a bit short.
But if the tube is short there is not much you can do except make a longer center band from some wood or corian.

No big deal ... just noticed a difference when I added some new kits to my parts box.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Noticed

I have noticed that some tubes are a tad longer (sometimes in the same manufacturers kits) also, but it was easily correctable and when I got smart enough to try the refil and the transmission before I pushed the transmission in too far I stopped having problems with it.

Top Bottom