slimline slipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenPauli

I made alot of slimline pens. I have noticed on one or two in the past, the top halves seem to loosen up and slide on the transmission. Just recently I have 4 or 5 antler cartridge pens doing it. What can be causing this? It doesn't do it when I put it together. It is the 7mm brass tube that is sliding around the trans. Any help would greatly appreciated. And any ideas on how to fix these loose pen tops halves.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

samuel07

I'm having the same issues. I was thinking about putting some thin CA inside the top tube and rolling it around but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Maybe even brush on some thick with a q-tip.
Just a thought.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The only times I have had transmissions either too tight or too loose in tge cao tybe was when I mixed tubes and transmissions from 2 different sources. The differences were ony a couple 1/1000ths but sometimes that is enough.

If they are too loose to rotate the transmission, you can give it more frip by squeezing the metal at the end of the transmission into an oval shape with a pair of pliers. Don't squeexe too much or you won't be able to get the refill in. This should do it for you.

jaywood1207

Originally posted by samuel07
<br />I'm having the same issues. I was thinking about putting some thin CA inside the top tube and rolling it around but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Maybe even brush on some thick with a q-tip.
Just a thought.

If I understand what you are saying correctly I don't think that's a good idea. You won't be able to take off the top barrel to change the refill in the future. I would do as Russ has suggested and give it a squeeze to see if that works first.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Jamie,

I agree that Russ has the best idea. I think that the CA idea was to put it in the tube and let it dry. That way, when the transmission is inserted, the tube has a slightly smaller inside diameter, hopefully resulting in a tighter fit.

Poppy

Maybe Sam will clarify his thoughts but I will assume that he meant to leave the CA dry before attaching the top tube back with the transmission.

its_virgil

This is not my idea. I read it in the Y! Penturners Group files. But it works very well.
Use an automatic center punch (Harbor Freight # 91080-0VGA) and place an array of dimples around the circumference of the transmission. Each dimple has a raised circumference (like a crater) arond the dimple and this will effectively increase the diameter of the transmission and the upper tube will grab and make the transmission function. Twist the transmission to the extended position and insert a drill bit to protect the transmission from collapsing. Place as many dimples as necessary to alleviate the problem. I suppose a center punch and hammer could be used. Here are a couple of pictures on what I use and one that I've done.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

200712251835_punch.jpg

200712251859_slimline%20dimples.jpg

Originally posted by PenPauli
<br />I made alot of slimline pens. I have noticed on one or two in the past, the top halves seem to loosen up and slide on the transmission. Just recently I have 4 or 5 antler cartridge pens doing it. What can be causing this? It doesn't do it when I put it together. It is the 7mm brass tube that is sliding around the trans. Any help would greatly appreciated. And any ideas on how to fix these loose pen tops halves.

samuel07

quote:
Originally posted by samuel07

I'm having the same issues. I was thinking about putting some thin CA inside the top tube and rolling it around but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Maybe even brush on some thick with a q-tip.
Just a thought.

If I understand what you are saying correctly I don't think that's a good idea. You won't be able to take off the top barrel to change the refill in the future. I would do as Russ has suggested and give it a squeeze to see if that works first.

Sorry for the confusion. I would let the ca cure before reassembling. The Ca should just build up the inside of the tube enough to stop the slipping. But I think I like Russ's idea better.

reef12

So what is the main problem lack of Quality control or mixing of parts.

I can't see why as they must make 1000's of these kits daily.

See my post above on the Cushion grip kit but still a problem.

Mighty strange indeed.[;)]

Rifleman1776

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the transmission. They are so tissue paper flimsy that they can go bad if you look at them cross-eyed. As said, the differences in sizes between O.D. of the trans. and I.D. of the tube are in teensie thousandths. You might try putting the point of an awl or other sharp thing inside the tube and scratching it up some. This could give just enough 'grip' to hold satisfactorily. If your problem is with parts all purchased from the same source, I suggest you send a polite gripe. Problems cannot be corrected unless the responsible party (vendor) knows about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom