Slimline replacement ink cartridges

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

secord

I have had two Slimline pens have trouble with the ink cartridges. Yes one was my carry pen! I purchased a set of Cross replacements (8514-2) but they extend out further from the nib then the originals. The original cartridge measured 4.56 inches and the replacement measures 4.58 inches. I know that is not much but is sure is noticeable. So my question is what is the recommended replacement. :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Some like the private reserve refills sold by some of the vendors here. I've also had people comment on how nice the standard refill that comes with the pen works so I generally keep a stock of both on hand.

SteveG

Some times the threaded plastic end piece is not fully seated onto the refill, resulting in undesired tip extension. Try holding the refill and pushing fairly firmly to seat it. Also, I have used this feature the opposite way on occasion, pulling the plastic piece out (lengthening the refill assembly) to fine tune the tip extension. Sometimes this adjustment will not work because the plastic piece is too loose to stay in any position other than fully seated.

Steve

Sylvanite

As Steve says, sometimes the metal tube is not fully seated in the threaded plastic part. I put the plastic end on a firm table (such as my table saw) and press down on the metal tube. If I hear or feel a click, I know the refill has shortened.

If the refill is still long, you can simply back it out from the transmission by half a turn or so. The pen will still operate. Because there is variation in cross-style refill length, I routinely seat a bit on the long side. That way, if the customer buys a shorter refill, it still looks ok. If he gets a longer one, he can unscrew it slightly.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Top Bottom