Slimline problem, upper barrel will not come off

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfoh

Stick it in the freezer for a few hours. Cold will shrink metal and get stuck things to come apart most of the time.

Allenk

It is, Karen, and a good one, too!
Ryan, do you use CA when you install the nib and clip ends? I do, and stuck one of mine. Since that one, I use a blast of air through the tube, after installing the nib, and down into the tube after installing the clip, and wait a minute or two after that to put it together.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
upper barrel tight

If the barrel was hard to install check the nipples toward the back of the twist mechanism...if they are a little too high you might need to grind them down a tad before installing the upper barrel...

mtgrizzly52

One thing that custom rod builders do to remove reel seats from fly rods and I guess from the other types of fishing rods is to emerge the wooden reel seat in boiling water for a couple of minutes, remove and generally with some muscle pull the seat off the end of the blank. Now this is if epoxy is used to glue up the rod.

I've use this trick several times successfully, as well as doing the boiling h20 and then putting the reel seat in some ice for a couple of seconds. It will definitely slide off.

With CA, I'm not sure this trick will work as I alway use epoxy for my custom rod building en devours.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

JohnU

If you epoxy the tubes in the holes, you might have gotten some inside the tube. I had that happen a few times and the barrel trimmer just spred it around enough that I missed it. Now I take the pointed end of scissors and scrape the ends of my tubes out before trimmimg.

Allenk

John, I've got a 1/4x20 piece of allthread that I use to clean the dried epoxy out of my pen blanks. I just look inside, and use the allthread in that end. Works really well.

Top Bottom