Slimline problem (twiste mechinism and upper tube)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

I am having a problem with some of my slimlines where the upper barrel can not be pulled off to get at the refill is there any way to fix this problem or is there a way to test to see if it will happen before i get the pen fully assembled and then realize that it is an issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corian king

Hello Ryan There are two little nibs that stick off the twist me chinisum you can also take a small file and file these down just a little that will also help with that problem.
JIM

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
You've probably already done this but make sure there is no glue in the upper tube. I have made tons of pens and still sometimes forget to check that with the same results you're having. Here's a trick I learned to use in seperating the sections of a fly rod, hold the pen behind your back with a section in each hand and a tight grip then act like you're just sitting down. It gives a big advantage in pulling them apart and pulls straight so you don't bent something.
B

RyanNJ

You've probably already done this but make sure there is no glue in the upper tube. I have made tons of pens and still sometimes forget to check that with the same results you're having. Here's a trick I learned to use in seperating the sections of a fly rod, hold the pen behind your back with a section in each hand and a tight grip then act like you're just sitting down. It gives a big advantage in pulling them apart and pulls straight so you don't bent something.
B

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!
i tried for 3 days to get this apart and i could not thanks so much!!!!
i will have to try it with the one that i could not get apart with pliers next

Ray McLeod

Ryan,
I had the same problem not only with the slimlines but others. Customers were having problem removing the top to get to the refill. What I started doing on all of my pins is to use a small amount of vasoline on the barrell before placing the top on. When I put the top on I will turn it on the transmission a few times to seat it in..It sure makes it a lot easier to remove when needed.
Ray

GaryMGg

I'm not saying Jim is wrong but I'm not going to recommend filing the twist mechanism.
I'd be looking inside my upper barrel to see if there's glue or burrs inside the tube and removing any which may exist.
I want the twist mechanism to have the strength to hold the upper barrel, and turn the pen tip in and out.
Intentionally pulling the upper barrel off should be fairly easy but it shouldn't come off otherwise.

Mark

I agree with the possible traces of glue. Definitely have run into that before... Good luck.

Chasper

When assembling don't force it on, and definitely do not use a press to push on the cap section. If it seems hard to push on the cap, wipe the exposed part of the twist mechanism clean and put a drop of WD-40 on it.

RyanNJ

When assembling don't force it on, and definitely do not use a press to push on the cap section. If it seems hard to push on the cap, wipe the exposed part of the twist mechanism clean and put a drop of WD-40 on it.
only part the i dont use a pen press for is putting the barrels together

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I always plug the end of my tubes with dental wax that my dentist gives me, haven;t had that problem since, so I would guess that you have glue in the tubes, also some folks on this forum i've heard use a slice of potatoe or play dough to plug the tubes pryor to glue up. at least that is the problem I had when the pen would not pull apart.........

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am having a problem with some of my slimlines where the upper barrel can not be pulled off to get at the refill is there any way to fix this problem or is there a way to test to see if it will happen before i get the pen fully assembled and then realize that it is an issue

The problem most likely IS the small nipples on the rear of the twist mechanism protrude slightly more than they should...the easiest way to correct it is to take your dremel or other rotary tool with a small grinder and grind them down a tad. This is not an uncommon problem with slimline kits and I try all mechanisms using an empty tube before assembly into a pen, it's easy to tell if the tube is too tight going on, if it is grind the mechanism down.

bruce119

I'm not saying Jim is wrong but I'm not going to recommend filing the twist mechanism.
I'd be looking inside my upper barrel to see if there's glue or burrs inside the tube and removing any which may exist.
I want the twist mechanism to have the strength to hold the upper barrel, and turn the pen tip in and out.
Intentionally pulling the upper barrel off should be fairly easy but it shouldn't come off otherwise.

I agree with Gary make sure the tube is clean. But I have on many occasions especially if you are buying cheap kits. Have gotten trannys that are over size and are very tight going in the tube. I check each pen I assemble it is part of the process. And if necessary I use a small diamond hone and just hone down the ribs on the tranny. You want it tight enough that it wont spin easily when operated but you to get it apart with out bending the clip. There are a LOT of defective trannys out there I got 200 of them in a box I bought from a supplier dirt cheap. Nothing wrong with them just a little over size and you have to hone down the ribs. DO NOT use a file you WILL take off to much. If you take off too much and it is too lose then you can use a punch and with the tranny turned down as far as it will go punch a dimple from the inside. That is the fix I use for a lose tranny.

good luck have fun

Top Bottom