Slimline Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedgerton

I hate to let you guys know about such a simple problem I'm having but the advice given here is usually work the embarrasment. On a recent slimline pen, I found the fit inside the tubes to be a little loose. It was nothing a little CA on the nib end couldn't fix but what I don't know how to fix is the transmission fit into the upper barrel. The fit into the upper barrel is so loose, it makes operation of the transmission difficult. It slips and its hard to tell when its fully open or fully closed.

What would you recommend?

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

Lee gives a good solution, but if you don't have an auto center-punch, you can also just spread a little CA glue (thin will probably work best) around the tube with a q-tip. make sure you let it dry and then slide it back on, the ca will usually build a little film that will allow it to grip the transmission better. if one coat doesn't work, try two. just make sure it's dry before putting it back together or else you end up with an unrefillable pen!

les-smith

I put a little bit of med CA around the inside of the top tube with a toothpick. I use accelerator on a Q-tip and run that up the tube to set the CA. I then use a Q-tip with DNA to clean the tube out. I fit it together and if it starts to feel to tight I file the inside of the tube a little until it fits snuggly. Once I get a good fit I pull it apart and let it sit out in the open over night and breath so the CA sets up fully and nothing clouds over from the CA.

its_virgil

But they shouldn't be. [:(!]I just finished the last of 100 slimline kits I purchased a few months back and each one had to have the clip finial glued in. They weren't the cheap kits either but the best platings. What a pain!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br /> Some of them are just like that....

les-smith

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />But they shouldn't be. [:(!]I just finished the last of 100 slimline kits I purchased a few months back and each one had to have the clip finial glued in. They weren't the cheap kits either but the best platings. What a pain!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br /> Some of them are just like that....

I always thought that maybe my pen mill had a little slop in it so that's why some of the hardware wasn't fitting well. So, maybe it's not my pen mill.

jedgerton

Guys,

As usual, these are some great ideas. I can't say that I know what is causing this but I was guessing that I may be cutting a little of the brass away with my end mill when things aren't perfectly aligned (and they rarely are).

Thanks again for all the great ideas. I'm going to try the CA approach.

John

jrc

Over the years different runs of transmissions can be to tight and some are to loose. I've tried everything above but a year ago I solved my problem. I use a 13/64" drill bit and use the top non cutting end and twist the transmission to where the threaded part is down. Hold the transmission firmly, insert the top of the bit and work it around. Your trying to flair out the top of the transmission. If you have any dude transmissions try it on them first. If you flair it out to much you can roll the flair back down on a flat piece of steel. This has worked very good for me and others that I have shown.

its_virgil

I don't think the problem is from the pen mill...I don't use a pen mill to square the ends of blanks. I use a disk sander and jig. We should not have to modify, adjust, ream, clamp, glue, rig, or make any other modifications to these parts. The problem (I think) is with the manufacturer who uses parts made from several suppliers and those suppliers not adhering to tolerances...especially with brass tubes that differ in ID and OD from batch to batch. I will say that I've only had problems with PSI slimlines and I've only had problems with the clip finial being too loose.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

loglugger

Shound not have to fight to make the kits work. I got 20 of the fancy slimeline that had the brass to big, was sent new brass and the clip end was ok but then the transmisson was to small. I have glued and messed with then and have had enough. I am going to send them back where they come from and let them do as they see fit.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom