Slimline pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Is there any difference between Penn State Industries slimline 24K pens and CSUSA slimline 24K gold pens??? I keep getting all the companies mixed up.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

The thing is I am going to be using them for Cartridge pens and I will be using bullets for the nibs and rifle clips which are basically 24K gold plated anyway. The only parts I will be using from the pen kit is the tranny, ink refill and the top and maybe the clip on some.

Wildman

If not mistaken both Craft Supplies & PSI 24K have epoxy coatings.

Might save few dollars with with PSI, not sure depends upon shipping fee/sales tax.

Berea, 24K Upgrade gold would cost the same as PSI, or $1.95 per kit for 50 kits. Their shipping usually cheaper than either CS or PSI.

Rudy Vey

If you are going to sell your pens, you should offer the best possible plating, if you are thinking about a gold color, the only thing I touch (and sell with a conscious mind) is Titanium Gold. As already said, Berea has always a good price.

ragz

nope unless someone is making them on their own

the casing is brass and the bullets would be copper no plating

if you want you could skip all plated parts except the clip and buy spare 7mm tubes and transmissions and make your own CB and finial. woodpenpro.com sells all the spare parts and they are pretty reasonable on them for 5 packs.

Then you only have a plated rifle or deer head clip on the pen

jttheclockman

I agree with what you are saying Wildman, Ti is probably the best but I am not using half the pen parts so that would be a waste of money and the rifle clips are only 24K gold plated anyway so what is the difference if the top of the pen is 24K also?? I was wondering about the works themselves. Is the trannys the same??? Will look into the parts idea and see if the price works out any better. Thanks for the replys.

rherrell

I use the regular gold for my casing pens. The nib takes most of the abuse and since you use a bullet for the nib you don't have to worry about the plating wearing off. I've been making them for two years and have never had one come back due to wear. Besides, you use the rifle clips and the Ti gold won't match. I also find the regular gold matches the brass better than the Ti gold.
I like the Funline economy gold at PSI because of the clip design, a little fancier than the standard straight clip. The price is right too!:wink::biggrin:

Is there any difference between Penn State Industries slimline 24K pens and CSUSA slimline 24K gold pens??? I keep getting all the companies mixed up.

To answer your question, which I don't think got answered in any of the posts, and this is only my opinion.. not a proclamation of fact, but no I don't think there is any difference in the two kits... they both work well and have used both interchangeably. I'm not sure and don't quote me, but suspect they are from the same mfgr in China. I also think there are two different mfgr's in China.. one is Diacom and can't spell or remember the other. Diacom's kits seem to have better transmissions and refills. I bought a number of kits that were on closeout from Woodturningz that were the other mfgr before they switched back to Diacom... I had a lot of the refills leaking. I mentioned it to Ryan, then just threw them away and replaced with refills from local supplier.

While I prefer the chrome or TN gold slimline kits, I do use the 24k kits in my cartridge pens, plus occasionally I'll turn a straight slimline from them.

jttheclockman

Chuck

That was the point of my question. There are so many kits out there and companies selling them I do not know which ones are the good ones and the ones to stay away from. I think I will just order them from AZ. At least the first batch and hopefully I can find a source that I trust and resonable.

GBusardo

John, I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I have had Chrome pit on me and that's suppose to be a pretty good plating. It's been a while since I have ordered PSI gold, but I have to say, when I did order from them, the platings were pretty much flawless. As far as wear goes, I have had gold wear like iron and wear fairly quickly, even from the same supplier. Go figure....

redfishsc

Or I wonder if you could powdercoat over the plating that comes with them. May have to try that.

You can *try* to powdercoat over some of the 24K's and coppers, but the epoxy coating may burn. Then again it's a $1.50 if you mess one up and you still get to keep the tubes and tranny:rolleyes:.

As far as powdercoating over the others, it really might be doable. It may, however, scratch easier than the plating and end up looking worse.

Top Bottom