Slimline pencil problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BarrierBob

I'm having on-going requests for slimline pencils. The majority of requests come from Military members that are wearing flight suits. The only pens and pencils that will fit easily in the arm pocket of the suit is the slimline style. The problem I continue to have is the click mechanisms stop working. Usually the lead will advance, but will not hold once pressure is applied(writing). Is there a good quality slimline pencil out there? I make the Perfect fit pencil with the .5mm & .7mm schmidt mechanisms with no problems as of yet. However I get more requests for the small slimline with the click mechanism. I would not make them at all if not for all my customer requests. Any ideas???

Bob R.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Try making a Pentel pencil, they are "extremely" reliable and they're very thin so fitting the pocket won't be an issue. Don Ward has a tutorial in the library and here's a photo of one of
mine....................
2_13.jpg

redfishsc

EXACTLY. Pentel is THE best small click pencil I've ever used.

Personally I have used PSI, Berea, and CSUSA for slim pencils. Every one--- and I do mean emphatically every pencil I have made--- has failed. Fortunately I was suspicious of them from the get-go b/c the three or four PSI pencils I made for my own use failed, one-two-three. Some were the standard 7mm and some were the "Longwood".

I've made half a dozen pencils from each of these companies, and given them to family members over the past couple years. All of them complained about the pencils not working. I would understand if there were a couple that failed, but ALL of them? I do not make nor sell 7mm pencils and I never will so long as they are this bad quality.

They all did the same thing you are talking about.

I really like the Pentel, and I REAAAAALLY like the Schmidt mechanism they put in Cigar pencils, El Grandes, and Perfect Fits.

Sylvanite

Ditto. The Pentel mechanism is far superior to the slimline pencil kit mechanisms. After numerous failures with kit pencils, I switched over to Pentel P205/207/209 pencils (or Schmidt mechanisms for parker-style pens).

Regards,
Eric

sbell111

Were do you buy the pental pencils at? just want a couple to try. If at a office supply store what do I ask for? Thanks Rich H
Anyplace that sells pencils. Office Depot is where I have searched them out.

Here at work, I don't have the specifics on which pencil to buy for the conversion, but I'm pretty sure that it is the Pentel P20x pencils.

stolicky

I believe I remember from reading about the Pentels before is that you need 'the drill bit'. The next question is - where can you get the drill bit?

I may have missed it on here; its been a long day....

I would love to make a slim pencil that actually works.

titan2

I believe I remember from reading about the Pentels before is that you need 'the drill bit'. The next question is - where can you get the drill bit?

I may have missed it on here; its been a long day....

I would love to make a slim pencil that actually works.

I'd also like to know where to get the 'Step Drill Bit'? Looked at 'Craft Supplies USA' website and found the instuctions and all they did was mention the drill bit.......no further info. Also, Don Ward's tutorial mentions it and it's cost.....but, nothing else about it. I've e-mailed him, asking for further info.

When I get it.....I'll pass it on!

Barney :bananen_smilies022:

gomeral

I have used the Pentel pencils for years because they work well with templates and because I like the 0.3mm and 0.5mm mechanisms. I'm really, really excited to try my hand at making one for myself out of some nice wood. I've been reading, researching, etc...

Anyway, that background was just to insert myself into the conversation. My addition to the thread is this:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6502

Information on how/where to get the drill bit. I'm interested in at least one, so if we can get together for a group buy, I'm in.

hth,

daniel

Top Bottom