slimline pen modification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

is it possible to shorten the slimline pen,,,cant seem to find the answer on you tube videos,,i know there is other modifications you can do to one ,,but can you actually shorten it,,thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

The lower barrel can be shortened as long as the refill still works i.e. it propels and retracts correctly. The transmission does not have to be pressed all the way to the gauging line. The upper barrel can be shortened as long as the upper barrel will fit over the transmission and refill. Some experimentation will reveal the answer to your question.

Most of the slims I have used will work with the CB removed and the upper and lower barrels made to the intended lengths. Start there.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

magpens

Jason and Don are right. . You can shorten by approximately the length of the center band, which is close to 0.16" ...
You might be able to shorten a little bit more but probably not more than 0.3"

I suggest you get yourself a digital caliper and make some measurements.

How much do you want to shorten ?

Last edited:

TurtleTom

I think it's the refill that determines the gross length. I've thought about experimenting with cutting the refill to a shorter length and reinstalling the cap. Experimenting being the key word here.

chartle

I think it's the refill that determines the gross length. I've thought about experimenting with cutting the refill to a shorter length and reinstalling the cap. Experimenting being the key word here.

What about refills for Teacher's or lipstick pens. I did one and as I recall it used a Cross slimline transmission and a really short refill with a cap.

Rounder

I have shortened refills but the person that gets the pen has to understand about what is necessary to do to shorten the refill.

oldcrowraven

As mentioned previously, shortening the Cross refill is the way to go. I've made little lipstick-sized modified single piece Slimlines...you just need to cut the refill tube and re-attach the black end piece. Belt sander also works :)

fernhills

As mentioned previously, shortening the Cross refill is the way to go. I've made little lipstick-sized modified single piece Slimlines...you just need to cut the refill tube and re-attach the black end piece. Belt sander also works :)

OK, so what does the buyer do when he has to replace the refill.

chartle

Hope that just like "regular" pens it gets lost before the ink runs out. :wink:

oldcrowraven

My little shorty pen is for the wife. If sold to a customer I would include an extra "modified" refill cut to the correct size and/or show them how to do it themselves. Pretty sure a decent pair of scissors/cutter could easily nip the refill to the correct length and then just show them how to re-attach the black end piece.

flyitfast

Interesting thread and posts.
I spent a few bucks and ordered Don Ward's book from Woodcraft- Turning Modified Slimline Pens, Beyond the Basics. Outstanding book!!!!

Agree on Don Ward's book. Have used it for a couple of years and it has been a wealth of information and inspiration. Don has also been a huge help in personal conversations.
His website is also a great source of information. Redriverpens.com - he includes many articles and tutorials he has written.
Gordon

Top Bottom