Slimline pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am just looking for a source of inexpensive slimline pen kits. Seems like PSI is the only vendor I can find with prices under $2 or so a kit. I had started an order of nearly $200 with them that would fit in a small flat rate box and they wanted $18.95 for that. If that is all there is then that is all there is. I don't need the fancy stuff yet, just plain ole slimlines so I can make pens and get better at it. If anybody knows a lesser know source I would appreciate it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I ordered the 30 pak and got them today. They are cheap but there is not a thing wrong with them. Turn and finish them and they will make nice gifts. I'm turning them for the VA. I cut all the blanks and drilled some of them this evening. Tomorrow evening I will glue up all the tubes at one time and start turning this weekend. The blanks are mostly straight grain and soft. I wonder if some were cut from shipping skids? Just kidding. With a little care they will turn out all right.

BSea

Timberbits has them for $1.60 ea. But check the exchange rate. They also have free shipping for orders over $80. Even though they are in Australia, the packages usually arrive within 3 days.

EDIT: They changed the free shipping to $120. Still not bad.

Last edited:

USAFVET98

J ordered the 30 from woodcraft and wish I could afford to buy more. I've already made a few pens from them and the quality isn't half bad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 134

nativewooder

What some of the penturners are telling you is that vendors who resell PSI products are usually able to beat PSI prices. You just have to find a vendor who stocks what you want to buy.

Woodkiller

I had started an order of nearly $200 with them that would fit in a small flat rate box and they wanted $18.95 for that.

First of all, there is no way you will get that in a small flat rate box. Probably not in a medium, but for sure in a large box, that is the rate you were quoted.
I bought a 10 pack at woodcraft and I learned on that having never turned anything before. My first pen was a gold slimline with curly maple and almost no finish on it anymore. Once you do a couple and get the hang of it, it is no problem. You would be better off starting with Sierra style pens IMHO. Buy a bunch of extra tubes and practice on them. The ones that you like, assemble. The ones you don't, turn off and start over.

gimpy

You could have had some free ones ones, if I was only given the time...........:frown::frown:

What does this mean?
Tim.

I had offered the gentleman a SFRB of blanks and some slimlines, and I failed to get them out within the week, which I stated I would do, my health issues took over....I would still like to send them to him but he told me never to contact him again and if I did send him a box he would refuse it........

I sent "BIG" a box of blanks and he was very greatful, most folks would be

its_virgil

Tubes do not need to be glued in the blank to turn. Cut the blank, insert the tube, square the ends, mount with bushings and turn. Use the tube to do the next practice. I often do this then decide to keep the barrel or not.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Buy a bunch of extra tubes and practice on them. The ones that you like, assemble. The ones you don't, turn off and start over.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 4 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom