Slimline Pen Differences

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I recently turned three slim style pens from Woodcraft and have gotten requests for more, only in gold. So I go on the Woodcraft website and there aren't any gold slims that I like. So then I go to craft supplies and PSI and find that all three slims from each place used different size bushings. What a pain! I eventually ended up buying some from Craft supplies as well as new bushings, but am wondering why are there so many types of slims that require different size bushings? Seems like I have to just choose one supplier of pen kits and be fine with it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

magpens

I am surprised at what you wrote.

I went on the Woodcraft, PSI, and CSUSA websites and could find the bushing size on only one of them (CSUSA) for their slimlines.

CSUSA shows the bushing outer diameter to be 0.335".

You probably know that you can look up this diameter in the IAP tables which are helpfully maintained by our IAP member "Wayne". . These tables are referenced on the Home page of this website.

My first pen was a Berea slimline, for which the stated bushing O.D. is 0.331"
I have used Berea bushings for every slimline (by any vendor) I have made since then with no problems

Admittedly, I don't make many slimlines. . Also, I use calipers to measure the kit part diameters when I make any kit pen and make the barrel diameter suit the part. . I think that is a good practice

Size also includes the inside diameter (all bushings meant for Type A mandrels have the same ) of about 0.247", and the bushing length (which can vary ) but does not matter.

I would say that you can safely use the bushings you have on all 3 kits you mention. . But you will find calipers pretty handy for many things.

By the way, not all companies specify their bushing sizes in their company instruction sheets.
I wish they did !!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom