Slimline modification help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

Could you help direct me to some examples of modified slimlines. I'm particulary interested in examples of how to put the transmission in different locations. I've searched a little and I've seen some examples from skiprat that are pretty good, but I thought you all might be able to lead me to some posts/tutorials that show some examples. Thanks.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Les, I suppose you could put the tranny anywhere within the length of the bottom tube just by cutting the tube. The problem of course is that you make a pen virtually unsaleable with a modded refill.
You could use the refills and tranny from the mini key ring type pens, but then you would be limited to its fixed length too.
If, like me, you aren't worried about selling then put it anywhere you want. I have modded the refills two ways, one by making the metal part of the refill pass through the end of the little plastic bit and two, by cutting the refill with a small hacksaw. I was surprised to see that you can cut more than a third off before hitting the ink.
If you make it pass through the plastic bit, you then have to stop it from moving when you write. I put a single layer of electrical tape on the refill below the plastic bit and then a small drop of CA on the tape to make it hard. I'm sure there must be other ways though.
If you are really clever, I reckon you 'could' even put the tranny in upside down into the top tube. MMmmm...I'll have to try that when I get home again.[:D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There are 3 requirements for a SlimLine pen. Once these are met, you can do anything you want.

If the pen is for personal use, I can alter the ink refill, but if I am going to sell the pen, the ink refill should be left stock.

The length of the ink refill is what determines the overall length of the assebled transmission and the bottom tube. You can us longer or shorter tubes, but the overall length will have to stay the same.

You will always need some length of the upper tube to grab the trasmission for twisting. It can be a lot shorter than the stock tube, but yopu will need a tight fit over those 3 nubs that are pressed into the transmission because the fit between the nubs and the tube is what twists the transmission.

And you will always need to have the hole in the cap long enough to clear the black plastic thread on the end of the ink refill.

That sort of limits the dimensions on the pen, unless you choose to shorten the ink refill; and that is not a good thing to do with a pen you will be offering for sale.

Within those restraints, there is a lot the can be done the location of the spit, how much overlap there is between the upper and lower barrels, and what you do with the clip.

If you choose to cut off the length of the ink refill, there is no limit to what you can do with the pen. You just can't sell it or give it as gift unless you are willing to sell the user modified cartridges for the life of the pen. The last time I did this, I kep preaying they would lose a pen that refused to be lost.
What I do whem midifying the Slim lin

les-smith

Thanks for the reply guys.

Russ, I've looked over your website quite a bit in the past and the Russ-line and Fat-line were the first two modified slimlines that I made. Thanks for your reply you've made some realy good points.

skiprat, some of your latest creations are what have got me wanting to start modifying slimlines to an even higher degree than what I've done already. For some reason looking over your stuff I never thought about the ink cartridge threads sliding once they're moved lower on the tube. I had always thought I would just tell the customer to move it when they refilled. I'm thinking that's not going to work. Thanks for your reply.

I do like to sell the pens I make, seeing how they pay for everything I buy related to pens. Though, I also enjoy giving them as gifts. As luck would have it splinter99 just made a post concerning this very subject so I thought it was worthing adding a link here in case someone in the future is also interested.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27139#279160

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom