Slimline Fancy Blank Lengths

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

christopher_2

I have an email into exotic blanks also. Can anyone tell me the lengths these blanks should be. I have a few pieces of material I would like to try and cut and drill while I am waiting for the kits to come in. I got a few pieces of solid surface 1/2", walnut, and red oak.

Slimline Fancy Twist Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I find it easier to cut them when the tubes are available. That way you can use the leftover blank for other things like finials, center bands, etc. I also use the tubes due to the variation between kits and then I don't end up with blanks too longs or too short.

mmoncur

PSI lists the minimum blank length for fancy slimlines as 2 1/32". I'd go with Mark's advice and cut to 2 1/4 if you don't want to wait for your kits.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The length of a slimline tube is about 2.04".

HOWEVER, if you cut them, then drill--you SHOULD not drill through the end, so you should allow about a quarter inch extra.

If you have never heard this before, I would recommend you watch the video series I created (here on IAP or on Exotics) that will explain a LOT about ways to increase your success ratio.

Sorry, I have not seen an email yet---but it's been a busy day, so I certainly could have missed it!!

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually, I hypothesize that the blowout depends far more on how the blank is being held, rather than how it is being drilled. But that is a recent "piece of experience" talking.

I do KNOW that stopping short will NOT blow it out. And I don't do segmenting so the extra quarter inch on each blank is truly WASTE. But, it doesn't ruin MY budget.

sbell111

From my 'piece of experience', using a quality drill bit and taking things slow virtually eliminates blowout.

Obviously, stopping short of drilling all the way through will eliminate blowout as it can't possibly blowout if the item isn't drilled completely. That procedure adds unnecessary steps and increases waste, however.

I don't believe that how the item is being held impacts whether or not it blows out more than the quality of the drill bit, speed/pressure of the drilling, and type/condition of material.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Actually, I hypothesize that the blowout depends far more on how the blank is being held, rather than how it is being drilled. But that is a recent "piece of experience" talking.

I do KNOW that stopping short will NOT blow it out. And I don't do segmenting so the extra quarter inch on each blank is truly WASTE. But, it doesn't ruin MY budget.
I tend to agree...If I'm drilling through a board and don't want blowout, I clamp a piece of waste wood to the board I'm drilling through and it matters not how good the drill bits are it's the nature of the material.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Steve, I am frequently drilling $100 blanks. One blowout will cost me $100.

Those blanks are long enough to allow me to drill short and cut off. The quarter inch pieces can be used to enhance the "final pen package", if I wish and market well.

So, I guess it's all a matter of degree. Will it take me longer? It may. Of course I MAY also use the opportunity to CA reinforce the inside of the hole, while it still has one end closed.

So for those reading this----drill any way YOU want to. Stopping short works for me, drilling all the way through works for Steve. I blew up a LOT of blanks when I was drilling all the way through, but you MAY not!!

To each his own.

sbell111

The price of the blank doesn't matter to the issue. Honestly, it comes off like you are trying to puff up your argument.

Good tools and good technique (including using a waste block) makes the difference. Cutting your blank super long and merely not drilling all the way through avoids the issue, but it's a clunky solution. It's sort of like making the argument that good turning technique and quality, well prepared tools aren't important because one can simple sand off the last 1/8 of an inch.

Lenny

Usually a pen blank is of enough extra length that there will be extra .... why be quick to cut it to near final length before drilling? One advantage to drilling short and cutting back, besides not blowing out the end, is, if you are drilling on the lathe you won't end up will all the debris inside your collet.
I have had blanks that were very close to final length ... in those cases I have CA glued a scrap piece on the exit end ... whatever works.
As in anything we do there are different ways to get the same results ... use what you want or what works for you!

Top Bottom