Slimline clip question(yet another)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm sure like many of you who use the slimlines from PSI I like them because as kits go they are inexpensive and a good way to "make a silk purse" out of a sows ear.
In other words they lend themselves well to experimentation.
The problem I am having is attatching the clip to make a regular slimline into a Euro stle.
I use the PSI kits and the cost is inexpensive enough.I have found a source for a little "hanger bolt" that would screw into the stud that goes into a Euro style tube.(A hanger bolt has coarse thread on one end and machine threads on the other.
You then turn your own
bullet" and screw this into it and them assemble it onto the pen.
THat little hanger bolt goes for $.99 and the little stud that goes into the tube$.05 thus adding the cost of the kit up to almost equal to a regular Euro kit.
I can get an m6 bolt at the hardware store for $.20 retap the stud,epoxy or thick CA it into a scrap and make my own "bullet"
THen you need to get a Euro clip.Again adding the cost to an inexpensive kit.
Here's the question.
Does anyone add a Euro style finial to a slim line using a slimeline clip WITHOUTgluing it?
Whew! that was a long way around the block!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daledut

I guess my short answer would be no. If I understand that you want to do a custom finial and not glue it into the tube.

However, here is how I have done it in the past. Take the piece of wood that will become the finial and drill a shallow 1/4" diameter hole into it. Glue in a piece of 1/4" dowel. Grip the dowel in a collet (or similar) chuck and turn the finial to the desired shape and finish. During assembly put a drop of CA on the 1/4" dowel and slide it through the clip hole and into the brass tube.

I know it is glued in, but it is an easy way to make custom finials for Slimlines.

Or you could call Ryan and pay $3.15 for some Designer kits and make your own studs by turning down the stock finial and then gluing it into your wood blank. I can explain this in detail if you are interested.

G

No need to buy a Euro Kit,
here"s the part that goes into the finial
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/images/050-7053.jpg

I would like to use the slimline clip if possible rather than buy one for $.90.
I can make that part that goes into the finial for pennies as previously stated in the original thread.

wayneis

If you are into cheap slimline kits, go to Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silhouette. He has the Berea 24K kits for $1.49 each. No minimum order and it is not a special, its his everyday price. The Berea kit is a better kit than PSI for my money any day.

Wayne

G

I can make the cap whic will accept a Euro clip.
The hole in the slimline clip is too big for the screw in the stud.
I want to make a finial,use the slimline clip and not GLUE it in.
Has any one ever done anything like that.
In essence I want to make a Euro style out of a slimline.
I'll make my own center ring, my own finial.
Looking for a way to use the slimline clip with a screw on finial.

tipusnr

The only way that I can see would be to either make a wood bushing that screws onto the post with an outside diameter that fits the clip.

Or (and I like this much better) sandwich the top of the clip between two fibre washers (or pieces of thin leather/plastic plate). Since you can punch your own center hole this 3-ply top should fit the finial post. Of course I would glue the two washers to the clip. You could even repeat the pattern at the center band and when inserting the (can't think of the right term) "pointy end" for uniformity.

Would this meet your needs?

William Young

Wayne.
I checked out that $1.49 deal. Sounded great. So I put in a tentatve order of just 10 to see what the shipping would be to my USA address. Came up with $14.90 for the 10 kits PLUS $38.50 for shipping.
I got out of there in a hurry.
What kind of a deal is that??

Also, could you please explain for what reasons you feel the Berea kits are superior to PSI's I have only used PSI kits so far and also, so far, I have been very pleased with them. But then that is only about 30 kits so maybe I have been lucky ?
W.Y.

daledut

Okay now I understand [:I] and the answer is I have never done this. Here is a thought though.

You say you can handle the stud that goes into the finial, so what you need is an insert for the top of the tube. If you have the precision to do this you could make one out of the slimline finial. You would have to turn, grind or sand down the outer rim of the finial so it fits through the clip hole. Then drill and tap a hole into the top of the SL finial to fit your M6 bolt. Press the modified SL finial into the tube just like with the Euro, then screw in your new finial.

Of course this is untested and relies heavily on getting the hole centered in the SL finial. Well anyway sometimes free advise is worth what you pay for it.[:p]

Let me know what you think, and don't forget to post the results if you come up with something.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />I want to make a finial,use the slimline clip and not GLUE it in.
Has any one ever done anything like that.

I have made friction fit finials. You must be precise when doing this, and there is no guarantee that it won't loosen up eventually. Here is one that I made recently for a slimline chasis. It didn't look right on the pen, so I removed it. It was as difficult to punch out as a standard finial.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20049123452_Copy%20of%20DCP01425.jpg
<br /> 30.75&nbsp;KB

B

Bill Baumbeck

William Young,

As stated in our website:

"Our Shopping Cart program automatically charges you for shipping on a 'per item' basis. If you were to order one pack of Micro-Mesh the shipping charge would be $3.85 by Priority Mail. If you ordered ten packs of Micro-Mesh the shipping charges will show up as $38.50. Please be assured that you will NOT pay $38.50 for shipping! Postage for ten packs of Micro-Mesh would only cost $3.85. Shipping is calculated at the actual rate by weight and mode of shipment - UPS or Priority Mail. We will ship your order the most economical way or by the means you specify."

Ten of the $1.49 24k kits would cost $3.85 if shipped within the U.S. (all 50 states). Out-of-country shipping costs more.

A full explanation can be seen by going to:

<b>http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Shipping_Terms.htm</b>

Sometimes taking a little extra time to read all of the necessary info can save you some time and trouble.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bill Baumbeck
<b>www.arizonasilhouette.com</b>

William Young

Thanks a bunch Bill for that explanation. I figured it had to be some sort of a computer program glitch to make it do that. It was my first visit to your site and I was only in there for a few minutes to check out that one item. I have now bookmarked your site and will spend some more time in it. The actual shipping charge is very reasonable to say the least and I am glad to know now what it actually is. I live in Canada in a border town so I have both a UPS drop off address and a PO box address just over the border in Idaho for the many USA firms I deal with.
I was also pleased to see that your orders are sent with tracking numbers. I wish more companies would do that. I am only 6 miles from home to where I pick up my goods but the tracking numbers saves me from guessing when my orders arrive and sometimes making a wild goose chase trip to pick them up.

I have heard several times that the Berea kits are superior to the PSI ones but I have not heard the reasons why.

I have also been informed that a person should not swithch from one manufacturers products to another due to incompatability.
Perhaps you and/or some others can clarify those points for some of the rookie (like me) pen turners here.
Best regards.
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom