Slimline centerbands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phil Hansen

I have made a few slimlines where the centerband is a loose fit on the transmission. It is easy to roll around.
Is this a problem?
Is it normal?
Are they poor quality kits?
Thanks
Phil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GColeman

When I used the center bands on slims it was always free to rotate. That is one of the reasons I no longer use them. I turn all slim lines in one of Russ Fairfield's style now. In my opinion it is a better look, and eliminates the problem of the loose center band.

Phil Hansen

Thanks for the replies.
To me it seems stupid having this loose thing in the middle of a nice pen.
Going to try the one piece (Russ Fairfield or Don Ward) idea.

snyiper

I have found if the top of the pen fits sung the center band seldom turns I have more problem with the clip spinning after some use.

Jeff Barnett

I have had a few that are loose. A dab of CA would put a stop to it. IMO, it has to do with the fit of the top. I know at times I end up with a little bit shorter tube because I use a belt sander to square up the blanks.

bowtiebird12

Every one Ive made has rattled and made a sound if you shake it......but yea i just dabb some thick ca on it and problem solved.

bensoelberg

Every one Ive made has rattled and made a sound if you shake it......but yea i just dabb some thick ca on it and problem solved.

Are we still talking about centerbands or have we moved on to the clip? I ask because I would definitely not put glue on the centerband because it could seriously screw up the transmission. Just hoping to clarify so that a new turner doesn't accidentely mess up their pen during assembly because of a misunderstanding.

Jeff Barnett

Are we still talking about centerbands or have we moved on to the clip? I ask because I would definitely not put glue on the centerband because it could seriously screw up the transmission. Just hoping to clarify so that a new turner doesn't accidentely mess up their pen during assembly because of a misunderstanding.

Nope still talking about the center band. Won't mess up the mech unless you over applied the CA. It just takes a drop.

ctubbs

My preference for both CB and clip is a drop of red Loctite applied on the end of a toothpick. That reduces the amount of stickum and it does not outgas onto the plating.
Charles

Top Bottom