Slimline with a cap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

First off, hello!
I've been a member a short while and lurked the forums even longer. I started making pens in Aug of '13. I've been working wood for over 30 years. Mainly cabinet and furniture making and some antique repair.
Glad to have found these forums.

After taking a half dozen pens into work and showing them around to my co-workers and such I was approached to make a pen for the wife of one of them for her birthday. He wants a slimline style but was asking if they come with a removeable cap instead of twist. He says his wife carries a smallish purse and uses the even smaller front pocket to house her pen. He is a bit concerned that the open nib would become "clogged" and the clip would become entangled. I told him I could assemble the pen without the clip but I was not positive about a removeable cap.

Does anyone have any ideas about making a slimline pen with a removeable cap?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

I only know of roller ball kits with caps. Maybe the Atrisan Signature, Artisan Americana Rollerball, or Zen from craft supplies. They are all rollerball, but on the slender side for rollerballs. The 24k Americana is on clearance for $6 which is not that far from a slimline pricewise.

PSI has the Vertex, Presimo, or Traditional that may fit the bill. Again, all roller ball.

Ed McDonnell

If you turn the lower part of your slimline with a straight profile (and the top if you want to post), you can make a friction fit cap for it out of non-rigid plastic. You could even use the plastic cap off a bic stick pen, but then your pen would say "Bic". :rolleyes:

If you have a small piece of acetal or nylon laying around you could try using them. Make sure to leave a vent hole in the cap so that air pressure doesn't pop it off if you go this way.

Ed

Mortalis

Curly,
You are a life saver, of sorts!
You know, I tried a Google search for "Purse Pen" but didnt come up with much. This "Pocket Purse Pen" does seem as though it will fll the bill.

Thanks

I knew if I came to the right place with experienced, knowledgeable people the answer would be found.

Are 6A bushings the standard slimline bushings?

Last edited:

walshjp17

Not likely as the tubes and drill bit on the pocket purse pens are 3/8" while the slimline is 7mm.

There is a pen kit comparison chart in the library which may help to find out which pen kits use the same bushings.

Top Bottom