slimline bushing question - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default slimline bushing question

When I turn a slim line pen and turn the wood down to the bushing. I am having trouble. when you press in the cap or the writing tip the wood will be below the writing tip or the cap.

I just went out and measured some caps and writing tips and they measure larger than my bushing.

I also have 2 different sets of bushing, one I have never used and it dos`t measure up either.

So what should I do, I don`t like them not matching up.

Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

It's always a good idea to measure bushings & kit parts before starting to turn. There can always be variations in bushings or kit dimensions and bushings can wear down from sanding or tool hits (obviously not a problem with the ones you've never used though).

If there is a mismatch, then just use the bushings as a rough guide to get close to the final size and start using calipers to get down to the exact size you need to match that particular kit.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

$10 Harbor Freight 6 digital caliper. Measure the parts before you turn, as Edgar points out, and compare to your bushings. That will give you an idea of where to stop/slow down for final sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Charlie,

A few wise folks here taught me a truth long ago that fits your experience: Bushings are Consumables. A pen turner will nip it, sand it and scrape it while turning the wood. The bushing sizing can be down below size in 10 to 30 pens, hence "consumable". For this reason, it is much better to determine the size of the blank by measuring than by sizing it against the bushing.

There is another way around the shrinking bushing - learning to turn between centers. Use the bushings to get it to NEAR size then take them off and turn between centers without bushings and measure with the calipers to get to size. This will eliminate the shrinking bushing and make it last longer.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Don't try to match the edges exactly, leave the wood a bit larger and create a rounded edge whether buy tool or sanding.
wouldentu2? is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads