Slimline blank dimensions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

What is the smallest blank size that those of you who turn slimline (or other comparable kits) can use? The reason I ask is that I have some vintage cellulose acetate that I bought in a rush without paying close enough attention to the thickness of it, and it is far too small for me to use in my kitless work. I am trying to figure out what to do with it. My only other thought was to use it for pen rests or stands.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DavidD

Hi John,

I cut all of my slimline blanks 1/2 - 5/8 square, which affords me enough room for comfortable drilling. Certainly could go down to 3/8, but 1/2-5/8'' is a comfortable size.

Bummer to hear you've got the wrong size!

David

Last edited:

jalbert

Hi John,

I cut all of my slimline blanks 5/8 square, which affords me enough room for comfortable drilling. Certainly could go down to 1/2, but 5/8'' is a comfortable size.

David
Thanks David. That's what I get for being impulsive. This stuff is about 11.5mm square, which is a little small. When I get the time, I'll have to turn a piece round and drill it out, and see if I can get a large enough tube for a slimline. If that works, I'll probably just sell the lot.

DavidD

Hi John,

I cut all of my slimline blanks 5/8 square, which affords me enough room for comfortable drilling. Certainly could go down to 1/2, but 5/8'' is a comfortable size.

David
Thanks David. That's what I get for being impulsive. This stuff is about 11.5mm square, which is a little small. When I get the time, I'll have to turn a piece round and drill it out, and see if I can get a large enough tube for a slimline. If that works, I'll probably just sell the lot.

Edited original as I've just measured and found a few unturned blanks just a hair over 3/8'', but going that thin is just asking for trouble! Better make sure you're drilling perfect and have sides well-stabilized with backers. I do quite a few slimlines and as a matter of practice keep the table saw at 5/8'' because it eliminates all the worry.

What size have you got?

jalbert

Hi John,

David

Edited original as I've just measured and found a few unturned blanks just a hair over 3/8'', but going that thin is just asking for trouble! Better make sure you're drilling perfect and have sides well-stabilized with backers. I do quite a few slimlines and as a matter of practice keep the table saw at 5/8'' because it eliminates all the worry.

What size have you got?

A plate about 11.5mm thick, by 7 inches long and 6 inches wide maybe. It needs to be cut into blanks first.

Curly

Two thoughts. One is to see if you can make a kit less ball point. Though not common a capped ballpoint would be interesting. The other would be to slice the sheet into widths you want and laminate them with another material to end up with stripes along or across the pen.

Top Bottom