Slim-lines, is it the plating?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Would a better plating change your opinion of the slim-line kit?

• Yes, I'd like to see better plating options.

Votes: 53 70.7%
  • No, I just don't like them.

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andrew_K99

The slim-line seems to be a loved or hated kit, some won't make them to sell and say their just "stir sticks".

So, is the plating the issue? Would a Rhodium, Blk Ti or other high(er) quality plating change your opinion?

EDIT
Well, I'll learn something new everyday if I choose to open my eyes :eek:. While many places only offer them in chrome/gold I found on CSUSA's website that they have them in most of the plating options.

So this is a useless poll and could be deleted.

AK

AK

Last edited:

its_virgil

Slimlines are available in every plating possible and even a few platings that are only offered for slims. So, how can plating choices be a factor in liking or disliking slims? Just trying to understand your poll question.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Andrew_K99

Slimlines are available in every plating possible and even a few platings that are only offered for slims. So, how can plating choices be a factor in liking or disliking slims? Just trying to understand your poll question.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
I've only seen them in chrome and gold, which are generally the lower quality platings. Who sells different platings?

AK

Last edited:

penmaker1967

i like them have made several of them. i can get any plating that i want for them. i sell quite a few of them during my shows

Andrew_K99

Well, I'll learn something new everyday if I choose to open my eyes :eek:. While many places only offer them in chrome/gold I found on CSUSA's website that they have them in most of the plating options.

So this is a useless poll and could be deleted.

AK

bensoelberg

I still make them, but I hate putting in the transmission. I think that the effort to turn them is the same for any other two barrel kit pen, but that the assembly is more difficult than the assembly of a cigar or even a Jr. Gent.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
OOPS

Do a good turn daily!
Don
I've only seen them in chrome and gold, which are generally the lower quality platings. Who sells different platings?

AK

Almost everybody who sells them including myself, sell at least a half dozen or more of 24kt Gold, copper, gun metal, chrome, silver, sating silver (sometimes called satin pearl) black chrome, gold titanium nitride, black titanium nitride, satin chrome, satin gold, antique bronze polish, antique copper, antique rose copper polish, "upgrade" gold (this is not always the same thing with different sellers), gunmetal polish and platinum (usually Rhodium). Slimlines are available in many more finishes than any other kit - no other kit even comes close to the selections available for slims.

While the most popular slimline plating is unquestionably 24kt gold which is a poor choice for wear - chrome is acturally one of the better wearing finishes - probably a little better than Rhodium.

Last edited:

wouldentu2?

The only thing about them that I don't enjoy is the band is always moving leaving an edge for me to feel. I never feel I have done a good pen if I can feel the edge anywhere.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Funny we call the evolution of the "slimline kit" progress.

I sold over a thousand, before the kits were made by the newer players---never had a top half slip--never had a tranny bend.

Then, we got new players and kits that cost less--now all these problems are prevalent. Ya' suppose there is a connection there???

FWIW

Andrew_K99

It seems to be how everything goes, the more popular it gets, the more players that get interested and the quality goes down to make them cheaper so people buy their products. Evolution, it is a wonderful thing.

AK

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Who calls it progress ----

People said the same thing about Ford Cars - make them cheap and before you know it EVERYBODY will be driving one. Put most of those great early custom horseless carriage makers out of business.

Called the "tin Lizzy"

What time is when two fords pass each other "tin past tin"

"held together with chewing gum and bailing wire"

"junk on wheels"

"get a horse" when they broke down (which was often)

But aren't we all glad Henry Ford decided to make them AND to pay his factory workers enough so they could own them. That probably had as much to do with the USA's rise to greatness as any other single thing in our history.

More available at a lower cost, even if not as high quality is not a bad thing guys and gals.

dgelnett

I mainly use them to try something new, since they are so cheap if it does not work out I don't feel bad about it. Also when I have a friend that wants to learn to turn pens it the slim line for the first pen. If they want something better then they can buy it.

hilltopper46

I sold over a thousand, before the kits were made by the newer players---never had a top half slip--never had a tranny bend.

Then, we got new players and kits that cost less--now all these problems are prevalent. Ya' suppose there is a connection there???

FWIW

The last ones I got from CSUSA the tubes are so large I can insert and remove all the parts except the transmissions with my fingers. Had one tube so large I could move the transmission back and forth. I shoulda called customer service, but I had some spare tubes laying around so I am just using them up.

Anyway - it isn't cheap kits on my part. Ed, you and I had this conversation just a couple weeks ago, if you remember.

76winger

I don't turn many slimlines, but I do like the "comfort" variations with the slightly larger center bands that more closely match pens of the size I'm comfortable holding. Many people try over-sizing the slimlines to get similar results or "creative shapes" and quite honestly lots of those make me think of a fat lady with an overly tight belt!

This thought sours me on them somewhat, but I still turn a few to keep variety in my offerings. But my own preference is for anything lager than them. I also prefer pens that use the Parker style or Rollerball refills also.

PenMan1

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Ditto!
Personally, I like slim pens. I like them just turned B2B, flat, straight, and slim. What I hate about slims is all the added coves, finger grips, big bowing centers turned to meet a tiny center band. I call those "puppy pens" because they always look SUPER PREGNANT, and offends my sensibilities.

My personal carry pen is a one piece slim, in black. NO "dodahs", no frills, no thrills. just a plain ole pen in perfect black resin. It always gets many compliments. it looks sexy and elegent. No hardware, execpt a nib and hidden clip. BUT, everything fits and works perfectly.

Now that the Cross style ink is getting better. I may make 'em again. No center band, no "stuff", just plain, straight black pens, in a rhodium finish.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

FWIW

The last ones I got from CSUSA the tubes are so large I can insert and remove all the parts except the transmissions with my fingers. Had one tube so large I could move the transmission back and forth. I shoulda called customer service, but I had some spare tubes laying around so I am just using them up.

Anyway - it isn't cheap kits on my part. Ed, you and I had this conversation just a couple weeks ago, if you remember.

True, but not everybody heard that conversation.

Even CSUSA seems to be experimenting with new "makers" for their kits. When I bought slims from them, they were always GREAT fit and their platings lasted. Now they seem to be willing to "experiment" with products that may provide them higher margins.

What, do you suppose, is the value of a great reputation?? Both theirs as a supplier and YOURS, to YOUR customers as you "make do" with a second-rate fit??

I sold hundreds of Cigar pens, too. Last night I assembled one, made in China. I wouldn't sell it at a craft show, personally, but it is a few bucks cheaper than our Berea cigars.

To each his own, but it would be nice if they had different names, so the "confusion factor" was reduced.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I personally think the kit is fine. Yes a nicer refill would be great and a "slim line" that had not quite so "slim" parts but still built on the same concept would be better. I agree with they take as much time or more as higher end kits but I guess that has never been an issue for me. Regardless of the kit, the better plating is the best option, usually.

PenPal

Loaded Poll.

Prove my point ONE.

Prove my point TWO options.

When you Poll a Bull you cut of the POINT.

I like Slimlines poll questions ask the recipients for their unbiased opinion.

Claim the fifth the right to disagree amicably with respect, I do respect every point of view.

Have fun I do.

Kind regards Peter.

monophoto

I don't dislike slims. Actually, I prefer them over most other ball point designs - most of which I find to be too 'blingy'.

My only concern with slims is that they are ball points - I don't really care for ball point pens in general. I much prefer fountain pens. Unfortunately, the selection of kits for fountain pens is extremely limited - too few choices of platings, and far too much bling.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Me too

I don't turn many slimlines, but I do like the "comfort" variations with the slightly larger center bands that more closely match pens of the size I'm comfortable holding. Many people try over-sizing the slimlines to get similar results or "creative shapes" and quite honestly lots of those make me think of a fat lady with an overly tight belt!

This thought sours me on them somewhat, but I still turn a few to keep variety in my offerings. But my own preference is for anything lager than them. I also prefer pens that use the Parker style or Rollerball refills also.

I personally like comforts better also, I think they both look and feel better, and can't for the life of me figure out why slims are more popular other than needing to pay more for the comforts. and having to chuck that idiotic grip for about 90% of the kits.

As to the cross refills - I used them for at least 30 years and they've always seemed good enough for me....some better than others but the cross brand always did the job for me.

LeeR

My first pens were Streamlines from Lee Valley (Berea Hardwoods kits). I like the larger diameter ringed center band, compared to the tiny slimline center band. Others carry this pen in higher quality platings. It is the only "slim" pen I really care for, since you can make it larger in diameter, and it looks fine, IMHO, because of the larger center band. (No "fat lady with a tight belt" look ... :) )

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

FWIW

True, but not everybody heard that conversation.

Even CSUSA seems to be experimenting with new "makers" for their kits. When I bought slims from them, they were always GREAT fit and their platings lasted. Now they seem to be willing to "experiment" with products that may provide them higher margins.

What, do you suppose, is the value of a great reputation?? Both theirs as a supplier and YOURS, to YOUR customers as you "make do" with a second-rate fit??

I sold hundreds of Cigar pens, too. Last night I assembled one, made in China. I wouldn't sell it at a craft show, personally, but it is a few bucks cheaper than our Berea cigars.

To each his own, but it would be nice if they had different names, so the "confusion factor" was reduced.

They want to stay in business Ed. When they see a competitor come into their market and go from zero to millions of kits sold per year in theirr market over a period of about 5 years, they better sit up and take notice or they'll find themselves on the outside looking in.

It's not just a matter of margins, it's also a matter of gross sales and cash flow(I'm guessing a little on the cash flow).

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The problem with choosing a cheaper kit at the expense of quality is that the end user receives a pen that will leave a sour experience that becomes associated with all hand made pens. Every one suffers. If we as the producers of custom hand made pens buy those kits, Positively reinforcing thats what we want and will pay for,then thats what they will make and sell. Eventually that will damage our ability to sell pens. Telling the suppliers by using our dollars in our purchase selections that we would rather have a better product with better quality means that they will move to provide that to us. There will always be a market for the cheapest price point. We as a group and as individuals dont have to support that. I realize that there are those of us that have to balance every purchase based on the limited dollars they have to spend on this as a hobby. They have to choose between quality and quantity at every step of the way and decide for themselves where they spend their money and why. I myself dont mind the slim lines. I like the slim black "Cross" Pens. But also because Im not the one using it, the client who is giving me money is the one making that choice and my job is to supply them with what they want and will pay for.
Mike

DurocShark

I like slimlines. Because they are available dirt cheap (with equally cheap platings and components), they have a bad rep. But I like the better platings.

But I make them and enjoy them. The size, weight and (when I do away with the CB) balance, are quite good and appreciated by many of my customers. Because I can sell them for $30-ish, I have a few people that buy one every few months. Personally, I think they buy a new pen instead of a refill, but who am I to argue with cash?

Which reminds me, I'm out of rhodium slims...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The problem with choosing a cheaper kit at the expense of quality is that the end user receives a pen that will leave a sour experience that becomes associated with all hand made pens. Every one suffers. If we as the producers of custom hand made pens buy those kits, Positively reinforcing thats what we want and will pay for,then thats what they will make and sell. Eventually that will damage our ability to sell pens. Telling the suppliers by using our dollars in our purchase selections that we would rather have a better product with better quality means that they will move to provide that to us. There will always be a market for the cheapest price point. We as a group and as individuals dont have to support that. I realize that there are those of us that have to balance every purchase based on the limited dollars they have to spend on this as a hobby. They have to choose between quality and quantity at every step of the way and decide for themselves where they spend their money and why. I myself dont mind the slim lines. I like the slim black "Cross" Pens. But also because Im not the one using it, the client who is giving me money is the one making that choice and my job is to supply them with what they want and will pay for.
Mike

But, cheaper does not have to be at the expense of quality.

Maybe we should start having Consumer's Reports start evaluating pen kits.

They evaluate all kinds of things and many times their highest rated products are not the highest priced and their "best buys" are rarely the highest price.

I sell low priced kits - I have over 1200 customers in my customer base and about 70 to 75 per cent of my sales are to returning buyers(last year I had 1100 shipments and 300 new customers). When I have people who have spent more than $1000 with me for Slimline pen kits and buy 200/300 kits at a time, I don't think it's because they have to pinch their pennies, I think it's because they think they are getting the best value for their money from me.

Last edited:

fernhills

I like the Slim, i use them all the time, i don`t have any plating issues. I have one at my PC desk now in a turned stand, looks cool. I like to turn them in all kinds of styles, but like the style to fit the kit. Gotta order more.. Carl

SDB777

Think it's the 'feel' of the writing instrument(ie. SlimLine) as compared to the 'other options' out there.

Plating wouldn't really matter, if the 'feel' deters the potential customer from buying......

Scott (gold plated turd, is just a prettier turd) B

omb76

The slimline kits for some reason have always kicked my butt as far as difficulty goes. Not really sure why. I never made that many to begin with and last month I bought a couple with the goal of "perfecting" one and for the most part I'm happy with the way it turned out. I do have problems getting a good fit around the center band as there never seems to be a smooth transition between the blank and the band. My personal preference is for the comfort grip style. It's still a thin pen but has just a little bit more meat to it and is easier to hold in my opinion. I also think that the extra thickness makes it feel like a higher quality pen.

DurocShark

The slimline kits for some reason have always kicked my butt as far as difficulty goes. Not really sure why. I never made that many to begin with and last month I bought a couple with the goal of "perfecting" one and for the most part I'm happy with the way it turned out. I do have problems getting a good fit around the center band as there never seems to be a smooth transition between the blank and the band. My personal preference is for the comfort grip style. It's still a thin pen but has just a little bit more meat to it and is easier to hold in my opinion. I also think that the extra thickness makes it feel like a higher quality pen.

I very rarely use the CB in a slimline kit. Only if requested...

Here's one I did recently: http://www.flickr.com/photos/donimages/5642095521/in/set-72157625809055939/

No stock CB. Even Euros don't get the stock CB.

snyiper

I do almost all slims. I like the ability to customize them, you can make them as fat as you like several ways ,one by making a contrasting center band, eliminating it altogether (this will show you if your turning OOR) and make the lower barrel slide in under the upper barrel for a very nice look. I have yet to master the hidden clip but Ill keep at it. Slims always seem to be a hit and dont hurt the wallet to give away!!! The inks also seem to be getting better so my vote is Yes I love my slims!!!!

w5brw

Having Just started turning, most of the pens coming out of the shop have been slims. Having said that most of what I've sold have not been slims. They are great to learn on, and good for people that want a custom pen without a big price, but for those who really like a nice pen, it seems, they go for the larger stock:). I enjoy turning slims out of wood I got on the cheap or corian, but it almost hurts me to turn one out of a really pretty larger block or expensive acrylic blank. So much wasted on the small size.
However... I've been looking at the spare parts that some sites sell. Using a slim kit with a larger band, or making your own center-band makes them extremely versatile in size and use.

I'm still glad they are there, and in so many plating's. If not, I believe, there would be fewer of us taking the dive to try our hand at making pens. :redface:

Rick_G

Do a good turn daily!
Don

AK

Andrew, William Woodwrite here in Canada has them in ti gold and did have black ti but I don't see them now, I hope they haven't dropped them.
http://www.penblanks.ca/product.php?productid=5265&cat=30&page=1

Daniel

I have a bunch of the low cost slim lines from Smitty. I wanted to make a bunch of very low cost pens and it worked. But for the most part I only buy slimlines from CSUSA. After having made hundreds of them the CSUSA parts simply have a lot of little things about them that I like better. I also personally prefer the slightly larger confort pen without the grip but many of my customers disagree. Otherwise the slimline is just another style of pen. It has it's place and I keep them in stock. They make up a large portion of my personal collection as well.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Slimline pro

I personally think the kit is fine. Yes a nicer refill would be great and a "slim line" that had not quite so "slim" parts but still built on the same concept would be better. I agree with they take as much time or more as higher end kits but I guess that has never been an issue for me. Regardless of the kit, the better plating is the best option, usually.

The Slimline Pro from PSI is a little bigger but still "straight" and it uses a parker style refill. It is also the best click mechanism I've run into. I like the comforts - use all slimline parts except the centerband and to me just have a classier look. I eve like them better than streamlines which are close to the same.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
comfort

Having Just started turning, most of the pens coming out of the shop have been slims. Having said that most of what I've sold have not been slims. They are great to learn on, and good for people that want a custom pen without a big price, but for those who really like a nice pen, it seems, they go for the larger stock:). I enjoy turning slims out of wood I got on the cheap or corian, but it almost hurts me to turn one out of a really pretty larger block or expensive acrylic blank. So much wasted on the small size.
However... I've been looking at the spare parts that some sites sell. Using a slim kit with a larger band, or making your own center-band makes them extremely versatile in size and use.

I'm still glad they are there, and in so many plating's. If not, I believe, there would be fewer of us taking the dive to try our hand at making pens. :redface:
That is the comfort kit - center bands for comfort pens are also available on their own --- but it's probably cheaper to buy the comfort kits than to upgrade slimlines.

Top Bottom