slim lines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Animyzo

So I just got done prepping my pen blanks for turning. Problem is, a tiny bit of the brass tube extends beyond the blank.

I am using kits. Is there a little play in the tubes or will the pen be too short?

Also I just cut up part of an oriental pear into blanks. It has a bunch of bores filled with hard pack from what I expect are beetles or worms. It looks a lot like wormy persimmom. Any tips on turning those blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

You will be okay with the tube, just need to mill it flush. I f its on the top end you will not notice anything but on the bottom stop shy of where you would normally press the transmission in and check the refill extension, it will tend to stick out too far otherwise.
On the pear blanks soak the hardpack bores with thin CA before and as you go. They will provide character to the blankif done right.

jsolie

If you trim the brass flush to the blank, you might run into length issues. I know there's a little bit of room in a slimline, but I don't recall how much.

The other thing you could do is turn a section of it down to the tube then glue on a complimentary or contrasting piece of wood and call it a design opportunity. :biggrin:

As for the wood with the borer presence, you can always try picking out the dust and filling with CA, brass shavings, crushed stone, etc.

Animyzo

Thanks guys. The amount protruding is a millimeter or less. As for the oriental pear, if the pack is too loose I'll try filling it with some filler like aluminum or copper filings. Not ready for stone.

Thanks again

its_virgil

There is lots of room on a slimline. You can actually remove the CB and the top will still work. Heed what Gary suggested. Or, put the short blank on top and you will have no problem.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks guys. The amount protruding is a millimeter or less. As for the oriental pear, if the pack is too loose I'll try filling it with some filler like aluminum or copper filings. Not ready for stone.

Thanks again

Top Bottom