Slim line pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have a customer that wants a slim line pen/pencil set in platinum. He would prefer to have the pencil a twist action like the pen instead of the click style. I've checked the 3 main suppliers and unless I missed it, I can't locate one. Does anyone know if this is available and where?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

As far as I know (and that probably isn't very far) there is no slimline pencil that twists. But, there is if you go another route. Move up to a pen that uses the parker refill and the matching pencil uses the schmidt mechanism which does work with a twist. I'm having good luck selling sierra pen and pencil sets.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Monty
<br />I have a customer that wants a slim line pen/pencil set in platinum. He would prefer to have the pencil a twist action like the pen instead of the click style. I've checked the 3 main suppliers and unless I missed it, I can't locate one. Does anyone know if this is available and where?

JimGo

What's the diameter of the Parker refill? Could you modify the SL to use the Parker refill, or won't it fit inside the SL tubes?

EDIT: Sorry, more correctly, could you make the PENCIL version of the slimline use the Parker pencil refill - I assume you'll want to take advantage of the SL transmission and not monkey with that aspect of the design too much.

EDIT 2: For example, could you turn a small, conical insert that would go in the SL cap, and attach it to the finial using a spring (MAYBE gluing the spring into place)? I'm not sure whether you'd get enough friction to turn the Parker refill or not. Otherwise, you could try using a slow-setting glue, and simply resting the insert on the top of the refill (on top of the twist mechanism), then sliding that inside the barrel. Sorry if a) this doesn't make sense, or b) isn't practical; I'm at work and THINK I remember what the Parker-style pencil refills look like and how they work.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Don - He already said he wants it as thin as possible, he likes the "Cross" style, and wants it B2B with no "flare" or "bulge"

Jim - I was thinking along the same line. If someone has already done this, I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Randy_

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />What's the diameter of the Parker refill? Could you modify the SL to use the Parker refill, or won't it fit inside the SL tubes?

The diameter of the twist mechanism that operates the Schmidt pencil cartridge in the Sierra kit is actually larger than the OD of a finished B2B slimline. I won't say it is impossible; but it certainly will be very difficult to get that Schmidt pencil cartridge to function in a pencil that is the approximate size of a slimline.

its_virgil

The schmidt mechanism will fit inside the slimline tube. It works by pushing...the part inside the transmission that pushes the parker refill down when twisting acutally pushes on the mechanism and the lead falls out. To make this happen in s slimline the transmission may have to be used upside down. The junction between the two barrels would be close to the top similar to the original wall street(which is available from PSI as the broker)...or I still may not know what I'm talking about.

Since the customer is dead set on a b2b slimline I have no other suggestions to make...but there are a few choices that could be sold instead...ohterwise, put on your Thomas Edison hat and start inventing, designing, or reinventing. I don't ever remember anyone putting a schmidt mechanism is a slimline. JimGo gave some good suggestions.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Monty
<br />Don - He already said he wants it as thin as possible, he likes the "Cross" style, and wants it B2B with no "flare" or "bulge"

Jim - I was thinking along the same line. If someone has already done this, I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I meet with him again on Saturday for him to make his final selection. What I know right now is he would like a twist slimline (thin, Cross style) pen/pencil set in platinum with a flat top finial in a black wood similar to ebony or african blackwood. I'll let you all know what the outcome is Saturday night.

Randy_

Jim: I'm not seeing how your idea will work?? Either I am not understanding your idea or you are a little confused about how the Schmidt pencil cartridge works or maybe a little of both??

Don: When I first read your idea about using a SL tranny.....right side up or upside down.....I thought you were crazy!! But after getting out a couple of unassembled kits and fooling with them for a while, my thinking is you "ARE" crazy.....like a fox!!! Looks to me like you can use the SL tranny in either orientation and make it work. However, it appears to me that to do so, you have to make the pencil about 1"-2" longer than a standard SL pen would be. And to achieve the shorter length, it seems like you would have to shorten the cap and that would mean the clip would rub on the lower barrel when operating the mechanism. help me out here, Don. What am I missing?

its_virgil

Randy,
I think that is a compliment [:D]. I too am sitting here fiddling with tubes, transmissions and a schmidt mechanism and now I think you are correct. It is a possibility that the slimline transmission may work in its original position. And, yes, the lower half will be longer than the upper half and the clip would extend past the the jmunction between the upper and lower parts. The lower would be longer and the upper would be shorter. This is the case with the Wallstreet. Thanks guys, now I won't leave the shop until I make it work. And I'm supposed to go to Houston tomorrow morning.[}:)] Actually, another problem is going to be how to mount the transmission and how to couple the two barrels together. If there weren't so many other pencil choices this might be a problem worthy of the time to find a solution , but I think I will get back to making the hollowing tool I've been working on. I purchased some OneWay Termite tool tips and have made holders for them. Only the handles to finish. Man, I sure like these tools. Good luck with the slimline pencil delima.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />

Don: When I first read your idea about using a SL tranny.....right side up or upside down.....I thought you were crazy!! But after getting out a couple of unassembled kits and fooling with them for a while, my thinking is you "ARE" crazy.....like a fox!!! Looks to me like you can use the SL tranny in either orientation and make it work. However, it appears to me that to do so, you have to make the pencil about 1"-2" longer than a standard SL pen would be. And to achieve the shorter length, it seems like you would have to shorten the cap and that would mean the clip would rub on the lower barrel when operating the mechanism. help me out here, Don. What am I missing?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />... And I'm supposed to go to Houston tomorrow morning.[}:)]...

If you will be in Houston and have some time, It would be great to get together with you. PM me if you have time and I'll send you my number.

kirkfranks

Don,
You beat me to it.
I came home today and started fooling with the same setup.
My biggest hurdle would be that the point on the pencil mechanism (schmidt) is larger than the hole in the slimline nib. So I guess it would have to be drilled out.

As far as the slimline pushing the pencil mech. I tried the little converter that is used with the teacher pen and that will work since the twist mech is upside down there just needs to have a flat pushing surface to push on the top of the pencil mech.

Mannie if your customer wants a wood finial then maybe this would be like upside down version of the J-Line pen.
I would make sure though that he understands that the twist would not work like some of the old mechanical pencils that I had when I was a kid.[:0] The process is twist to make the pencil lead come out a little and then twist back to make it stay. If you need more lead you have to do the twist both ways each time. Also there is no provision for an eraser (the biggest reason to use a pencil in my mind.)

Let us know what you end up doing.

Randy_

Originally posted by kirkfranks
<br />.....My biggest hurdle would be that the point on the pencil mechanism (schmidt) is larger than the hole in the slimline nib. So I guess it would have to be drilled out.

As far as the slimline pushing the pencil mech. I tried the little converter that is used with the teacher pen and that will work since the twist mech is upside down there just needs to have a flat pushing surface to push on the top of the pencil mech......

Checking the hole in the slimline nib was the first thing I did and the Schmidt mechanism I have fit perfectly.

You can also pull the black plastic cap off the end of the Cross refill to use as a "pusher."

DocRon

I am really interested in this, since in a former thread I asked who makes a good slimline pencil mechanism, and the answer seems to be "Nobody". If you are sucessful in making this work, I for one would appreciate a short tutorial with pictures and song and dance to help me understand how to do it.
Ron[8)]

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Ron,
The pencil is from CSUSA. I got the ideal for the shape from C. Scott. Think I put a link to it in my other thread with the pict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom