Slim-Line Pen Woes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo5576

I haven't made many slim-lines. I mostly work with larger pens. I made up a few slim-lines and noticed the mechanisms seem rough and stiff. Has anyone ever added a lubricant. Would this help? What type works best? Is there anything to watch for. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nolan

Well I seem to make alot of slimlines as they sell really well. I have noticed in the 300 or so I have done so far that the mech. is definatly the weak link. In the 10% failure rate I have seen in completed pens that the mech brakes when subjuscted to side load (sitting with it in your pocket). funny but it happens alot to me as large portion of sales is to supervisors and management in a local factory. But to the real question-----------They already have lube from manufacture and it is kinda like wheel bearing grease. never thought about trying to change or add to it. Will say that I have had a certain % that were just bad from factory. I bought some just for repairs and so if I got a bad one I didnt have to use it. Also should note that I would rather not do them because I feel they are low quality. Hope this helps.
Nolan

DocStram

Jim .... not to long ago we had a similar thread about this issue. I get really frustrated by the poor quality of the slimlines ... especially those from PSI and, in particular, their slimline pencils. I decided to give Berea's a try and have them on order.

txbob

Originally posted by jimbo5576
<br />I haven't made many slim-lines. I mostly work with larger pens. I made up a few slim-lines and noticed the mechanisms seem rough and stiff. Has anyone ever added a lubricant. Would this help? What type works best? Is there anything to watch for. Thanks.

Yes. Yes. Radioshack 64-2326, 99 cents for a 3 oz tube:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102646&cp

Put some in the transmission with a q-tip, run the transmission in and out a couple times, run it out and put a little grease at the top, remove the extra grease with the other end of the q-tip.

txbob

jrc

I take a little med CA and put a little on a toothpick and spread inside the tube and let it dry overnight. 4 years age it was the mechanism was to tight.

tone

I just had one come back to me that if pressing firmly while writing, the clip section turns and the point retracts. Maybe they put too much lube in this transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom