slim line help....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

opfoto

For some reason while making sl pens with black walnut I got black rings at the ends next to the bushings. Possibly hitting the bushings and dragging it into the blank. I can't seem to sand it out. Does any one know how much leeway is built into the length of the tubes. I am thinking that if I can cut it off I may be able to save them. Is this a feasible fix or is there no room for error?

Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Marc, you are right in that you are getting metal stain from the bushings. Avoiding this takes a bit of time. There are several different techniques to minimize the problem.

Yes, you can shorten slimlines a bit. They are the most forgiving kit out there, length-wise. Others are not so forgiving so work on avoiding the bushings.

Rick_G

With the slim lines I will generally remove the bushings when I start sanding. I'll put a small piece of 7mm tube in place of the bushings. That way no metal dust gets pulled back on to the bushings.

hilltopper46

Something else that causes black rings in the end of the barrel is a dull barrel trimmer that has been "forced" with the drill press. IMHO, this is a more likely culprit in walnut.

mick

Marc. I don't know what you finish your blsnks with but here's what I do. I do my final cutting with a scary sharp skew ans before I sand anything I apply a coat of thin CA both on the blank and the bushings. It keeps that pesky black plague off your pens. Good Luck!

Sfolivier

"Marc. I don't know what you finish your blsnks with but here's what I do. I do my final cutting with a scary sharp skew ans before I sand anything I apply a coat of thin CA both on the blank and the bushings. It keeps that pesky black plague off your pens. Good Luck!"

Just make sure not to glue your blank to the bushings :)

Also when sanding without bushing (if you decide to go this route), you will have to make sure not to dull the edge of the wood. You want a sharp 90 degrees angle to contact the kit. Not a round connection that may look overturned.

loglugger

If it is a thin black dark line then as tony said it will be a dull blank trimer. If the line is wider and a grey color that will be sanding from the bushings. You can sharpen the blank trimer by filing lenth wise on the flat part of the trimer. Some place on here there are some pictures on how to do this.
Bob

Chasper

I agree that it could be metal particles from the bushings, but I think that a dull blank trimmer is more likely. Another possibility is that the turning tools are not sharp enough. Not being sharp enough, the wood fiber pulls instead of shearing at the end of the tubes. Walnut is suprisingly bad at doing this, especially if it is medium to light color for walnut, the dark ring shows up more. If it is pulled wood at the end of the tubes, either form a dull turning tool or dull trimmer, you will be able to see it easily under a magnifier. If it is metal from the bushings there won't be any distortion of the grain.

Some really soft wood will get pulled and darken just from cutting with a band saw.

opfoto

Thanks for the help so far but more is needed[V]

updated info....

I am accessing this thread from work, The blanks are home. The rings are thin in width. Approx 1/8" or so. each end of each blank. 4 rings on 4 ends. Pretty good batting average. I did't use a drill press but I put the blanks in vise and used a new trimmer from a recent group buy in a cordless drill. Nothing new. Not scary sharp by any means but better than I had or so I thought. I did try to hone them with cards from HF on the flats per the instructions in a previous thread (from the library with the pretty colors[:I])when I first got them. My typical finish for non oily woods is to sand to 800 and wipe on 3 medium coats of laq thinned 50% 24 hrs between each coat. Then let hardened upto a week before assembly. Haven't tried to finish them yet still thinking of the best way now to cut the rings off. Ideas anyone? On the mandrel with a...? Or off the mandrel with a...? The hard part is maintaing the 90degree cutoff angle.

Thanks again.

loglugger

You might make a wood handle for your trimmer and use it by hand, it might not get hot enough to cause the black lines. I uae to have this happen on maple and always thoght it was from heat.
Bob

Top Bottom