slim line ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

There is another approach that I've seen somewhere - bot I don't recall where just now.

Drill a hole through a scrap of wood that is very slightly larger than the OD of the transmission. Then carefully cut a saw kerf longitudinally through the block of wood and into the hole. What you are effectively doing is creating a collett that can firmly grip the transmission without damaging it.

Slip two flat washers over the transmission, and then slide it all the way into the hole in the wood leaving only about a millimeter of space between the washers and the pen blank. Clamp the wood in a bench vise so that the hole in the wood gently squeezes down on the transmission Then, insert two flat-blade screwdrivers between the two washers - one from each side, and gently twist to force the washers apart. Since the transmission is locked in the collett, separating the washers applies a force that pushes the pen blank off the transmission.

larryc

I first remove the nib with a small transfer punch through the transmission.
I have a steel bar about 3" long and 1" wide with a 7mm hole drilled in the middle.
I then use a shortened transfer punch to press out the transmission using my arbor press.

zig613

I first remove the nib with a small transfer punch through the transmission.
I have a steel bar about 3" long and 1" wide with a 7mm hole drilled in the middle.
I then use a shortened transfer punch to press out the transmission using my arbor press.

Ditto... i use the same method. It works like a charm. The biggest challenge is removing the nib with the small transfer punch.

Wade

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I first punch out the nib as described by several others, but then I just slide a spare 7mm tube over the tranny all the way to the tube in the blank. Since the tubes are identical diameter, they meet up perfectly.

Then I stand the assembly up vertically with the spare tube resting on a hard metal surface - like an anvil, table saw table, etc. Then using an a punch that just fits into the tube, give the punch a few light taps with a small hammer & the tranny will slide right out into the spare tube.

If I'm completely removing a failed transmission, I just drive it into the spare tube & discard both. When I just need to back it out a small amount because I pressed it in too far, it only takes very light taps to move the tranny a mm or so. Generally it will be possible to easily pull the spare tube off the tranny when it's only been pushed back that small amount.

No special jigs, simple tools and really quick. I keep plenty of spare transmissions & tubes on hand. If you try this method, don't tap very hard at all if you just want to move the tranny a small amount.

Top Bottom