Sleeves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gallianp

Help me find ready made sleeve for Jr. Gentlemen's II pens. I have been using sleeves that are close but a good fit.

Thanks.

Paul+

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I don't know anybody that sells exact fit sleeves for the jr pens, but I can tell you how to make some. drill a piece of stable close grained wood like maple or cherry with a 7mm drill and glue in a slimline tube. Rough it round and just smaller than your trimmer head, and then trim the ends square. Put your mandrel on the lathe, and add 1 slimline bushing, a bare slimline tube and then another slimline bushing. Slip the jr Gent tube over the second bushing so it is rattling around loose over the slimline tube. Add on the soon to be spacer and a third bushing, then either slide the mandrel through to the threads, or add enough spacers so you can put on the nut and very slightly tighten. bring up your live center, lock the tailstock and power on the lathe. Extend the tailstock ram till the live center just starts to spin with the mandrel. Tighten the nut until the sleeve blank will not spin with hand pressure. Crank up the speed and ignore the jr gent tube rattling around while turning the sleeve blank down on the headstock end till the jr gent tube will just slip over the end. It will grab when it gets to the part of the blank that is too big. the ends are sharp when spinning, so be careful, but continue to turn the blank and test fit till the tube is perfect fit. Sand just a tiny bit to lay the grain down, then power off the lathe and write the kit name and which tube (upper or lower) on the sleeve. Now turn the lathe back on and wax the sleeve liberally. Remove and repeat for the other tube.

If you are like me, at this point you will immediately make a second set just like the first, and put them in the spare sleeve drawer, so that when you need one and realize that you have lost the first, you will not have to set up for this all over again, (at least not the first time it happens. After that, all bets are off) If you are really ambitious, you can drill and tube a few extra blanks for next time you find out you need a sleeve. (again, if you are like me, you will then immediately put them in a very secure hiding place where they will never be seen again)

Good luck

hewunch

No worries :) I made my first set out of corian, but the CNC that makes these is MUCH more reliable than I am :)

Top Bottom