Sled for crosscutting round stock?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

Anyone have any good jigs they use for cutting round stock on the table saw or bandsaw? Like a sled with a routed groove and hold-down or something?

I like the idea of turning the full blank round first before trimming, but gripping a 2.5" section of round stock against the miter gauge is a hairy operation. :eek:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

My table saw sled does not handle round stock, but it should be an easy matter to rout a shallow groove where your stock sits, and clamp the blank down with a couple of thumb clamps. The arrangement would allow you to do celtic knots with something other than just four bands. Could get interesting!

jleiwig

Anyone have any good jigs they use for cutting round stock on the table saw or bandsaw? Like a sled with a routed groove and hold-down or something?

I like the idea of turning the full blank round first before trimming, but gripping a 2.5" section of round stock against the miter gauge is a hairy operation. :eek:

Make or buy a V-Block. Commonly used in metal working and drilling operations to hold round stock.

vblock01.jpg

randyrls

I have cut tubing on my TS with small gizmo I made. Drill a hole the size of the dowel in a larger piece of junk wood, now use the TS to cut a slot in the piece of wood. Clamp down and cut away. If you make the wood gizmo thick enough, you can clamp both the stock side and the off-cut side. A photo of it and the blank cutter and saw sled I use is below. I try to jeep fingers attached to hand... :)

Photos of the saw sled and blank cutter I made. Overkill but it works well. http://www.coleman-family.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1796

AceMrFixIt

I use a corian sled with a kleat for the miter slot and one on top to hold the blank aginst. Works good for me. (For my band saw)

Attachments

• bandsawsled.jpg
    bandsawsled.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

turbowagon

Thanks. I think I'm going to combine the ideas in this thread and build a sled. I'll post pics when it's done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom