Skull Pen Kit Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SawdustHappy

Hey Guys,
I just made my first skull pen kit. And the Tip is not retracting. I followed the instructions perfectly on assembly, but the pen is just not retracting back in. I have a second skull kit, waiting to be made, and I swapped the tip & transmission trying to see if it was an issue with either part. But to no avail.

Anyone have any idea what else could be the issue?

Thanks in Advance,
Sawdust Happy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I had this happen to me on a round top euro kit. I swapped the cartridge and spring with one in a different euro that had no problem and it stuck in that one too, and the one from that pen didn't stick in the problem pen. I figured either the spring or cartridge somehow was the culprit but didn't bother to find out.

SawdustHappy

I had this happen to me on a round top euro kit. I swapped the cartridge and spring with one in a different euro that had no problem and it stuck in that one too, and the one from that pen didn't stick in the problem pen. I figured either the spring or cartridge somehow was the culprit but didn't bother to find out.

Hey Tattooed,
I tried swapping the spring, and by cartridge, I am guessing you mean the ink refill cartridge? I tried swapping that as well, and the tip is still not retracting... I am having issues getting the spring back out as well from the tip. I am wondering if the spring is catching on the inside of the tip of the pen, and I just need to file it down or something?

Thanks again,
Sawdust Happy.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Take the pen apart and try to push the refill down and have it retract (use your finger, no transmission). If this does not work (and I think it won't), you need to run a tiny drill bit through the nib hole. Ideally, the bit should be .1" in diameter. This is the same as one of the wire sizes, but I forget which one.

Theory behind this, the nib is scraping on your refill.

WriteON

Take the pen apart and try to push the refill down and have it retract (use your finger, no transmission). If this does not work (and I think it won't), you need to run a tiny drill bit through the nib hole. Ideally, the bit should be .1" in diameter. This is the same as one of the wire sizes, but I forget which one.

Theory behind this, the nib is scraping on your refill.

If this is the case(been there)....a set of mini files are good to have...especially for a tight nib.

SawdustHappy

I made one a while back and had the same trouble with mine as well did you get it from psi

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Yes I did. I emailed them, and still no response. But I was able to get it all figured out with the help from Ed & Chuck. The Nib was pinching the cartridge, so I filed it down on the inside, so the cartridge would pass smoothly. but the bottom barrel was also a hair to short. I guess I trimmed the barrel too much/ inserted the mid section that attaches to the transmission too much. I got a transfer punch, and slowly hammered it back out, until I was able to get it to move open/close smoothly. I would literally say it took a width of 2 hairs to get it to work.

Thank you all for your help! I don't know what I would have done without you guys!

WriteON

Thank you all for your help! I don't know what I would have done without you guys!

And you will help others out in time. The beauty of IAP .... We get informative help...not sarcasm & jokes. To the dedicated members here...I raise a glass:beer:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I was happy to have a look at it. It's fun to diagnose by process of elimination. Even though the results are not always to your liking. :redface::biggrin:

Top Bottom