Skill level?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

So how do I know what skill level I am? I saw a comment in the nasty thread about the IAP logo that mentioned a logo with your skill level as part of the logo. I also saw the last contest with the three skill level divisions. How do I know where I stack up? How do I become "certified?" My wife would argue I am already certifiable.:(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Shane the skill levels are sonething the board is considering. They haven't specified the details of it yet.

The idea being consider is to define various levels of accomplishment in pen turning. Then members could work toward them for degrees of recognization by the association.

Lou

Not to stir this up, but section 3 of the by-laws includes the skill recognition program. This section was approved by a vote of the membership on 12/25/04. There is a committee being lead by Ed D. (YoYoSpin). They are working diligently on how to implement this program. The by-laws can be found at http://www.penturners.org/content/iap_bylaws_revised_9-5-04.pdf

woodscavenger

I just read the bylaws and am very intrigued by the whole thing. When do I start? I think the whole idea is very cool. It's just like being back in Boy Scouts getting my merit badges. [:)]

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I just read the bylaws and am very intrigued by the whole thing. When do I start? I think the whole idea is very cool. It's just like being back in Boy Scouts getting my merit badges. [:)]
Yep, just wait till you get the instructions for the secret Hi sign and salute.[:eek:)]

G

nOpe not going there, nope, turn around and walk away.
( boy I'm proud of myself)

Darley

Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I just read the bylaws and am very intrigued by the whole thing. When do I start? I think the whole idea is very cool. It's just like being back in Boy Scouts getting my merit badges. [:)]
Yep, just wait till you get the instructions for the secret Hi sign and salute.[:eek:)]

And come to see me I show you the aussie salute [8D]

Serge

Rifleman1776

Drawing standards always comes down to some arbitrary conclusions. Unlikely I will ever meet some of the standards stated. But, then I never say "never". [:)] The requirement to make a pen, or pens, from material other than wood violates my personal standards. As with my duck calls, (not intending to offend others, please understand) I say 'if you want plastic, go to Wal-Mart. I just don't do alternate materials. It's my choice. But still one could argue that a penturner who becomes highly skilled and artistic should not be denied a higher classification just because he/she doesn't use materials designated by others.

woodscavenger

I had the same thoughts about non-wood (read heretic) materials. But in reading the reqs it looks like there are still enought options in the non-wood categories to still be able to do it without stepping into the non-wood category.

esheffield

I'm anxious to see how this system turns out. For some reason, I get a kick out of "collecting" certifications and what-not. Probably comes from being in the software business. Certifications can be a help in getting and keeping a job. Whether or not they really mean that I'm any better at what I do than someone who isn't is certainly debatable. But at least my current boss really likes for us to get them. And they do serve one other practical purpose that I think is relevant to this discussion and the mission of the IAP - preparing for a certification often takes me into areas that I might not otherwise explore. So I kind of like the requirement to use a non-wood material in that it may take you out of your "comfort zone" to try something new.

On the other hand, I'm also very familiar with the problem of "paper certs" - people who do the bare minimum to pass the tests and attain a certification and hence appear to be more qualified than those who were not certified but yet had years more experience. Same thing could apply here with someone focusing strictly on the skill level requirements just to get the "title". It would be nice if the program could be designed in such a way that the it truely means something.

I like the "merit badge" analogy. Maybe the system should be looked at as a whole in a similar manner. Different levels are analogous to things like Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Eagle Scout and the individual skills/requirements are like the badges.

It's a tough nut to crack though. I'm just glad I'm not in the hotseat trying to figure it out. [:)]

G

Hey Smokey
I'm still being good but it's getting though.
I'll have to stick with the 12 step method,
One thread at a time.

woodscavenger

One thing about the non-wood method for those with less money to put into the hobby is that it makes you invest in some other materials that you might not normally use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom