Skill Builders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

I stumbled across one of the best ones I have ever found the other day.

I bought some scrap 5/8" aluminum rod to build a section for a pen. I wanted the diameter down to 3/8" so I had a lot to remove. Keep in mind I have a wood lathe and use HSS tools. Removing this amount of material was definitely an exercise in patience and learning when the tool feels dull and how to hold the tool (1" skew n this case) for the most efficient removal of material. I've also learned my lesson to look around for narrower stock fo making the smaller parts.:rolleyes:

At any rate, if you want practice on using the skew, and sharpening, I highly recommend turning some aluminum rod on your wood lathe. It's also a good way to practice different measuring techniques.

Any other skill building exercises out there?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Terry,
Prior to me getting a metal lathe, I used to turn aluminum with a bowl gouge and a round nose scraper. That was the only material I used the scraper, worked like a charm.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Terry,

You are right on with skill building through practice. Since I have been on this forum, month after month people with problems have posted and asked for solutions when all they needed to do is gain their experience through practice and increase their skill level at the same time. IF they did that, more than 50% of the problems would be eliminated.

But, we all make a couple of good pens and then wonder why it is not happening on a regular and consistent basis.

That said, I still enjoy helping those with problems find the solution - when I can.

For me, when I had made a few good finished CA pens but not consistent enough, I took some pine 2x4 and made some blanks. Then I got used to using the different chisels, sanding, avoiding the bushings, and applying CA. Over and over and over. My purpose was not a pen, but the steps, the skill and experience. That week of doing that shortened my pen making time from start to finish and gave me the skills for obtaining a more consistent finish as well.

Same thing with aluminum - and brass as I did on a couple of occasions.

Great post.

Last edited:

TerryDowning

Thanks for the tip on the scraper, I'll give that a try. I did notice that my 3/8" gouge worked like a champ at removing material, but I realized the value in practicing with the skew. You'll know what chatter is when turning aluminum!

Thanks Hank for the Skill Builders re: 2x4 practice blanks

Keep 'em coming, This could turn into a library article, if we get enough "Skill Builders".

Top Bottom