Skew Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alex D

So I am relatively new to turning and am completely self taught. When I started this about year ago I decided to tackle the dreaded skew as my primary pen-turning tool. I had some catches and oopses the first few months, but for the better part of the past year, I haven't had any issues with the skew and really enjoy usning it.

So much so, in fact, that I splurged on a Thompson 1 inch skew (same size as the one I have been using, but thicker). For the past month I have not had any problems using it to turn pens and I really love the tool.

Fast forward to yesterday and I decided to try a shaving brush. I'm using the large acrylic blanks from Beartooh woods (same material as I have made pens from) and I had almost a dozen significant catches.

I didn't have any problems with planing cuts, but the catches came when I was trying to turn a bead or a cove, or round over the end of the piece. I've turned plenty of basic beads and coves with my skew, but not necessarily in this combination (bead trasintioning into a cove).

Clearly I still have a lot of learning to do, but I'm trying to figure out what triggered the sudden rash of catches? Is it the larger diameter spindle? The fact that I am trying to turn smallish beads and coves with a large skew? Innattentiveness? Full moon?

I do have a 1/2 inch skew I can try if skew size is a culprit. I also have some spindle gouges I could try (haven't used those yet) unless that is just opening up a whloe nother can of woms.

Thanks!
Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

The skew is my main tool for roughing from square to final finishing . The main thing to remember is that the tool must be very sharp , scary sharp . When it is sharp enough you can get ribbons even from acrylester . When properly sharpened you can make a finishing cut that don't even need to be sanded
Ed4copies has a video on the exotics website on how to use the skew properly and is one of the best I have seen .

StuartCovey

I only use a skew, nothing else. Make sure it is sharp, like really sharp. Also 1" might be a little big, perhaps try using a 1/2" and see if that makes a difference, I use a 1/2".

I've made shaving brush handles out of acrylic before and I know that those coves are naturally trickier, not sure why. But with a little practice you'll learn what angles not to cut at, etc.

Good Luck!

Alex D

Thanks for all the tips! I've seen Ed's video and it was one of my primary teaching tools. I'm starting to lean partially towards the skew size v. spindle size as a culprit. As Ed mentions, with a larger skew on something the size of a pen, you have to be in a really poor position to get a catch.

There is a decent chance that I've been escaping catches for that reason alone and now I'm working on a larger diamter spindle I need to pay much more attention to where and how I'm cutting.

I agree that with a nice sharp skew, you can get really great finished surfaces right off the tool. I generally get to start at 320 and that's mainly to make sure I don't have any high or low spots that I didn't catch.

Time to break out some cheap wood and have some practice sessions! Might try a spindle gouge while I'm at it!

Thanks,
Alex

Charlie_W

If you check out Alan Lacer, you will find that a 1 3/8" skew can turn itty bitty teeny weeny finials.
I think it must be the presentation of the tool to the work. You will need to be working close to the heel of the skew as you work the bead cuts. As for the cove, always cut downhill. Cut from both sides and meet in the bottom. Try to maintain bevel support as much as possible on your cuts.
A skew with convex bevels may help.

Let us know how it goes.

KenV

Alex -- shallow coves work OK with a skew, but cover are harder to accomplish than a bead. The deeper and smaller radius on the cove, the more challenging it is with a skew.

Spindle gouge does coves all day easily -- just takes a tool change.

Jim Burr

Banned
1" Thompson is a monster!! 1/2" should serve you well...even 3/8" is a great size for pen/spindle stuff. Doug makes some amazing tools!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When making shaving brushes, bottlestoppers, it is possible to use a skew---it is much easier to use a spindle gouge.

Also remember a shaving brush is used in water, with shaving cream. Nice tight coves will make a marvelous place for the soap to accumulate. Yes, a couple grooves make it easier to hold onto, but a bulbous shape is used by "manufacturers". Probably so they stay looking clean.

FWIW,
Ed

Alex D

Thank you everyone for all the tips. I took in all the info, pulled out some scrap wood and tried a little bit of everything.

The answer I came up with is that it was indeed a little bit of everything. Although I know many woodturners can do amazing things with a large skew, I found that switching to my 1/2 inch skew (properly sharpened) helped me get into the tight corners for beads much better. I'm sure some of it is mental since it just looks like it will work better.

I still had a couple of catches on the bead getting into the tight corners, especially when I went to try and refine an initial cut and I'm certain that they were caused by presention of the tool and losing the bevel. Things that will come with practice and experience

Finally, I picked up and sharpened a spindle gouge for the first time. Yup, that thing turns coves like a champ. While I wasn't going with particularly tight coves the first time, I was probably going tighter than practical for my monster skew.

I got this new brush turned and sanded to 400, but need to do the polisihing toninght. I'll post a pic when it's finished.

Finally, for Ed, you're right, I probably made a soap trap. I was thinking about that while I was sanding it. I have one tight corner that I know will be a soap magnet. However, considering I spent over two hours turning the darn thing (never said I was fast!), a soap trap it will stay!

Thanks again folks!
Alex

fixitman123

Maybe you need to raise the tool rest. Larger diameter blanks require a higher tool rest, for me anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom