To Skew or not to Skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

That is the question I was asking myself. I got a video from the library on how to use a skew and after watching it I was kicking myself as to why I had not done this before after a couple of small catches I was able to finish all the 1 piece slims I posted earlier and have done about 20 pens since and what a difference it makes, smooth, clean and quick and I love it. No more gouges and jsut a round nose scraper to knock off the sharp edges then a skewing I go.
Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

I always used the round nose scraper to start the initial shaping then switched to the skew. I had better luck with my 1" oval skew not getting catches. I guess I felt I had better control with a larger tool compared to the 1/2 inch I started using.

BigguyZ

I use a skew to knock off the corners. But after that I switch to a Bejamin's Best Veraschisel that I re-ground for have a much flatter profile. I haven't as much control with the skew, and I find it harder to give a blank more shape with one as well.

I recently got a Woodchuck, so I'm looking forward to trying that. I'm also curious to try the Woodriver cyogenic 1" oveal skew Woodcraft has for $52 right now. That looks like it could be nice.

its_virgil

Skew from start to finish. The larger skews at the start. They are more stable. Then switch to a smaller one. I see no need to use a scraper of any kind anywhere anytime.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Have to agree with Don. Once you learn how to control it, the skew can't be beat. Also leaves MUCH less sanding, if any.

azamiryou

I use a large gouge for rough turning almost down to size, then skew for the last few passes as I "sneak up on" my target size and shape. For some details like coves (usually not pens) I use a small gouge.

I have a Woodchuck Pen Pro on order, so when that arrives, I may stop using my roughing gouge...

Jon-wx5nco

I'm still learning the angle to sharpen my skew. I'm some what have it close now. When I get that down pat, I will take A LOT of scrap and learn how to use it correctly. I hope to be able to use it as easy as Ed4Copies shows in his videos :)

Last edited:

bensoelberg

I've been roughing to shape with a spindle gouge, then using a skew for final cuts. I find that I can get the blank to round faster and easier with a gouge than a skew.

snyiper

I have found it hard to use a larger 11/2 skew when using a mandrel. It always seems the mandrel nut or the headstock wont let me get to the end cleanly with out hitting.

hewunch

I use a carbide tool that has a hex bar instead of a square bar. This allows me to ride one of the angles and use it like a skew. I love it. Best of 3 worlds (skew, scraper, no sharpening)

Russianwolf

SKEW YOU!!!

oh, sorry about that. I have a 1/2 inch skew and an 1.25 incher. I only use the big one now. I also have a bowl pro (big brother to the pen pro) and use it on the bevel like a skew also.

Basic lesson of the skew. You can make contact with the work with the point on the bottom, if the top point touches the work you will get a catch.

PenMan1

Woodchuck and Skew. I know how to use a skew and I like the way it cuts, but I generally make the last two or three passed with the woodchuck after shaping with the skew.

IMHO, the Woodchuck makes a cleaner cut than my skew (may be because I suck at sharpening). On PR, I can go right to MicroMesh after the woodchuck.

redfishsc

I'm still learning the angle to sharpen my skew. I'm some what have it close now. When I get that down pat, I will take A LOT of scrap and learn how to use it correctly. I hope to be able to use it as easy as Ed4Copies shows in his videos :)

Hopefully this tip will help. Take a belt sander and grind a roundover onto the edges of your skew. You could do this with a grinder instead, but clean it up with a belt sander so it's smoother. I used 80 grit followed by using 120 by hand.

I rounded the corners/sides of my skew to make it more comfy in the hand and easier to roll on my tool rest, and this also prevents any nicks/scrapes on the tool rest. The actual cutting edge of my skew is also a bit rounded like an Alan Lancer skew.

Finally, use a mill file to clean up your tool rest once in a while so that it's butt-smooth across the top. Helps make uber-clean cuts with the chisel without it snagging on a burr on the tool rest.

Mark

I've been using the Woodchuck from start to finish when working wood and some PR. I still keep a skew handy as well as my 3/4 spindle gouge, but the Woodchuck is and has been for awhile now, my tool of choice.

Top Bottom