Sketch Pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JonathanF1968

I'm enjoying turning sketch pencils (PSI kit from Woodturningz).

1_IMG_8751.JPG

They are interesting in part because they require a couple techniques that most other kits don't.

First, you have to cut a "tenon," which isn't explained well in the directions. It's actually simple. You just need to cut a bit of the wood away from the tube so that you can slip the nut on the end. (The nut prevents the pencil from rolling.) It needs some CA glue or some epoxy to stay put, though the directions don't mention this. I've used both. CA glue drips everywhere, like water, so you have to be super careful and ready to clean it up. Epoxy requires mixing, so it takes a little more effort, but it also is easier to control. Both seem to hold, though I haven't put either method to extensive testing.

Here's a photo of what that looks like, on the lathe. I don't know why it is displaying sideways.

1_IMG_8749.JPG

You also need to glue part of the assembly together, inside the tube where you can't see it, which requires bravery. Once you understand these two new tasks, they are easy. The hard part is figuring out the written directions.

I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I wiggle the top of the pen a bit while the glue is drying, to make sure nothing is getting glued that shouldn't. I honestly don't know if it makes a difference, but it makes me feel better.

One more tip: if the lead is stuck, unscrew the cap and force it out from there with a tool of some kind. I use a Phillips head screwdriver. Be ready to catch it! It slips out as fast as gravity.

Jonathon, nice tutorial. There are a couple more pens that require tenons,the Designer "euro" kit and I believe the other is the Classic kit. You might want to give them a try too. There are also other non-pen items that require tenons. So there's lots to practice on and build your skills.

bsshog40

Yea, as Wolf Creek Knives mentioned, I just did a classic rollerball. It required a tenon also. Directions weren't real clear on that one either. It says to glue the tenon also as it has a centerband that fits over the tenon. I actually just parted mine all the way down except for a very thin sheen of wood (blank) was showing. The centerband went over very tightly without glue.
Nice pencils!

1shootist

Great looking sketch pencils !

I've been wanting to get a couple to do though I cant decide on either the kit you have done above or the deluxe kit. The deluxe is a single barrel and has some type of insert to make it an ink pen aswell. I like aspects of both but am leaning towards the kit you've got...maybe.

Top Bottom