Sketch pen questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Canedriver

I have a good friend who sketches and has a birthday coming up. Thought I would make her a few sketch pencils.

Do all the kits have sharpeners built in or only certain brands?

With regards to lead size. Can you get smaller or larger ones or are these the only size?

Finish question. She cant be around super glue so I am guessing a CA finish would kind of be off limits for her. Lacquer hold up decently in a pen that would be used ALOT? One of her jobs is as a clown for kids making balloon animals and such and she also does sketches for kids. She does this 3 nights a week so they would get alot of use.

Thanks,

David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

The kits come in either 3mm or 5.5mm lead. The larger one can be used with Prismcolor art leads for sketching. I sell quite a few to artists. All of them have a sharpener built into the cap. I have made them from CSUSA, Woodcraft, Penn State and Rockler. Rockler has changed theirs and it is not as nice to do as they no longer supply a brass tube, but expect you to just glue it into the drilled hole, which doesn't work very well. Penn state has the one with the smaller lead. I use both and both sizes work nicely. I use wipe on poly and the finish lasts, even with a lot of use. I put on 5 or 6 coats. Let it dry overnight between coats and it will finish nicely and buff up nicely.

jthompson1995

I've been less than impressed with the smaller (3mm) lead sketch pencils from Penn State. I got a few kits for my kids and, when finished, the lead would not come out because the jaws did not open wide enough. When I tried to adjust the jaws like I've had to do on some of the larger sketch pencils one of the jaws broke off with very little pressure. Apparently the grooves that hold the lead while writing go too far into the jaws leaving some very thin metal (about 0.2 to 0.3 mm) on the jaws.

I had intended to let my kids use them as they please but I've had to limit their use so small pieces don't break off while their using them.

mrcook4570

Make it out of a bright, colorful acrylic. Then there is no need to apply any type of a chemical finish and it fits in with the clown theme.

Canedriver

Thats a thought, hadn't thought of that idea.

Never turned acrylic before, Sharp tools I got including a sharpening system to keep them sharp. Will acrylic hold up to a beating better then wood? Remember she deals with little kids who like to grab things at the worse possible moments. Thats another reason for no CA.

I have plenty of time for this as her birthday is in April. Luckily her Dad suggested it because I had no clue what to get her.

thewishman

Will acrylic hold up to a beating better then wood? Remember she deals with little kids who like to grab things at the worse possible moments.

Much better than wood. If you would like to make it from wood, a stabilized blank would be a great choice. That could be polished with no finish applied and wil stand up to lots of use. Most stabilized woods are easier to turn than acrylics (and easier than some woods).:)

Sounds like a great present to me.

Mr Vic

like the Chrome obnes from CUSA. The have the nut like center band that keeps the from rolling away and I just like the chrome better. I've made several now usingf left over decking material - Trex or what ever the brand is..Recycled plastics and vertually indidtructable. You can burnish with the flat of a skew and I've added ring of collored acrylic. On Purpose:wink:

Attachments

• Sketch Pencil.jpg
    Sketch Pencil.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom