Size Problem With Berea 2B Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

There is a thread going over on the Yahoo site about Berea 2B bushings that are not sized properly. This is sort of an interesting bushing set because it is used in three different kits. The original question involved the Streamline Americans kit; but the bushings are also used for the Series 2000 Flat Top American Screw Caps and the Flat Top American Snap Caps. Since I had a set of those bushings that I had not yet tried out, I got out my trusty vernier caliper and took a few measure measurements. Sure enough, my bushings had the same defect. The barrel bushings were about 0.008" oversized and the cap bushings were 0.004" undersized. And with my set there was the additional problem that one of the bushings had a seriously undersized diameter for the section that fits inside the tube. It measured 0.013" less than the diameter on the other three bushings???

For anyone who has an unused set of bushings laying around, you might want to measure them up to be sure they are OK.

Just for comparison, these are the measurements of my bushings:

Cap Bushings
0.340/0.488
0.3525/0.4875
Tenon Bushing
Cap hardware measured 0.492

Barrel Bushings
0.353/0.4515
0.353/0.452
Barrel hardware measures 0.444

Tube IDs measure 0.357"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I'm glad I don't make those. Unfortunately, this seems all too common with the older Berea kits. The 8mm Euro ballpoint has a seriously undersized nib bushing(I have 2 sets and both measure the same) and the Round Top Euro RB/FP bushings are almost completely useless and the kit has problems in addition. I don't think the quality control of their bushing supplier is very good and obviously nobody at Berea ever checks the things to see if they're really useable.

Randy_

Gerry: Don't you just hate getting crappy stuff from a seller!! Quick question. The response I got from Berea said, ".....thanks for the heads up. We have not had any other comments on this bushing set....." I get the feeling that a lot of folks never go back to the seller when they have a problem with bushings.....they just gnash their teeth and grumble to themselves.

I'm wondering if you ever contacted Berea about your problems and if so, what sort of response you received from them??

Personally, I don't fault a seller for sending out an occasional bad product.....stuff happens.....but I do get bent out of shape when the seller won't correct the problem. But, of course, a seller can't fix a problem if folks don't tell him about it!!

gerryr

I contacted them last year about the problems with the RB/FP bushings and the response I got was "that's just about our best seller and nobody has ever complained about the bushings or how the clip is attached." End of discussion. They refuse to acknowledge that a problem exists. I didn't order another set of bushings because I don't plan to make any more of these, the design is poor and the way the part go together is worse than poor.

I had the same problem last year with those 2B bushings. The tenon bushing was too small for the tube. The barrel one was oversized and the cap undersized. Berea sent me another set that was marginally better. I was not impressed.

clthayer

I too noticed a problem with my series 2000 flat top screw cap bushings. They seemed to be way out of wack. But I have gotten into the habbit of measuring the hardware to where it will meet with the wood and turning accordingly, so it hasn't been too big a deal.

IMO, I love the round top euro screw cap kits, but putting that clip on it sucks.[:(!]

This is interesting thread.. I've never order a Berea pen kit.. mostly CSUSA & PSI.. or PSI through Woodturningz.. been thinking about some of the Berea kits 'cause they look good in the catalogs and online.. this thread makes me very leery of them.

gerryr

Chuck,
This isn't a terribly common problem with Berea kits. It only exists on a few kits as discussed in this thread. I make a lot of Barons, Churchills, Sierras, Olympias, El Toros, El Presidentes and Streamline El Grandes and have no problems at all with them.

Randy_

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />This is interesting thread.. I've never order a Berea pen kit.. mostly CSUSA & PSI.. or PSI through Woodturningz.. been thinking about some of the Berea kits 'cause they look good in the catalogs and online.. this thread makes me very leery of them.

The Berea kits "ARE" very nice. That is why it is doubly frustrating to have problems with the bushings!!

BTW, Another kit that has had bushings problems is the Sierra. They got some bushings where the holes were off center. I think that problem was resolved pretty promptly; but there were also some reports of bushings with a sloppy fit in the tubes. I got one of those sets. I don't know if that problem has been solved or is still a potential risk.

Rmartin

The Streamline 7mm is one of my mainstay pens. I use it as a medium sized pen with most of my rare woods. It's easy to make, looks nice, and has a very fair price. I only use the 24K gold titanium. Berea has always been helpful to any issues I have had.

Randy_

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />This is interesting thread.. I've never order a Berea pen kit.. mostly CSUSA & PSI.. or PSI through Woodturningz.. been thinking about some of the Berea kits 'cause they look good in the catalogs and on line.. this thread makes me very leery of them.

The Berea kits "ARE" very nice. That is why it is doubly frustrating to have problems with the bushings!!

BTW, Another kit that has had bushings problems is the Sierra. They got some bushings where the holes were off center. I think that problem was resolved pretty promptly; but there were also some reports of bushings with a sloppy fit in the tubes. I got one of those sets. I don't know if that problem has been solved or is still a potential risk.

P.S. If you decide to try a few Berea kits, check out their reseller, ArizonaSilhouette . You will get better customer service, you can order on line, prices are reputed to be better and the web site is much easier to navigate!! BB can be a little grumpy at times; but the very great majority of folks here find him to be an excellent vendor!! Be sure to make note of his non-standard business hours. Sometimes he will answer the phone before or after hours; but usually he is not happy about it.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
P.S. If you decide to try a few Berea kits, check out their reseller, ArizonaSilhouette.com . You will get better customer service, you can order on line, prices are reputed to be better and the web site is much easier to navigate!! BB can be a little grumpy at times; but the very great majority of folks here find him to be an excellent vendor!!

Also, don't forget Beartoothwoods.com. The service and prices are every bit as good as AS and the owner is a real joy to deal with. No grumpiness with Earnie!

Randy_

Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />Also, don't forget Beartoothwoods The service and prices are every bit as good as AS and the owner is a real joy to deal with. No grumpiness with Earnie!

I wish their photography was a little bit better. For folks who know what they want, the pictures are OK; but for new folks that don't know what the kits look like many of the pictures don't help very much!!

I haven't been on Beartooth site yet, will look at it after a bit, I like AS site and look at it frequently.. I'll give the Berea kits another thunk and see where to go from there... I got a Baron in the PITH we had and love the pen... LOML wants one too, so have to guard mine. Thanks for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom