Sitting down on the job.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCooper

[?]Hello. I recently pulled my back and need to sit to turn pens. Anyone out there sit while they turn and if so, do you have a photo of your work area. If my back does not get better soon may have to build a permanent sitting work station. Thank you. Coop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Do a search of the "what do you look like" thread; I think Bev Polmantier (sorry, hope I spelled that correctly) has a pic of her sitting at her lathe.

Harolda33

I normally sit at my Jet Mini lathe. I built a plywood and 2 X 4 table to fit and sit on a short bar stool puchased from Menards. Works good. I can sit up right or if I get back fatique, I can lean forward. Occassionally, I will stand at the lathe if I am trying to turn a vessel.

Harold Anderson

Skye

I cant sit and turn, I move around too much.

If you have to, you may have a problem with knees hitting the table. I wonder if you could make some depressions in the table for the legs of the lathe to sit in? That will bring the lathe closer to the desk, which gets it away from your face.

Just thinkin out loud...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I ahve two lathes set at right angles to each other.The space is basically set into a 36"x5' corner of my shop. Because one is a Rikon and the other is a Jet Mini I needed to raise the Jet so the working heights are the same.
The table they sit on is 16" deep built in a "L" shape.
I have a PVC DC system set up above the lathes to pick up the sanding dust.
I use a HOOTER's bar stool to sit on.
It aint nothin special but it works.

53Jim

I also sit while turning. I use an old office chair with wheels. I have my Jet mini set up on the base unit(Leg unit, base, call it what you want) set at it's lowest height, while the chair is at it's highest height. My lathe is set at a right angle to the wall, and about 2 feet from the wall for when I try to turn a bowl or something that requires me to be at the end of the lathe.

I wish I had some pictures, but if you saw me you'd know why I don't have any...[;)]

Hope this helps, and take care of your back (from 1 bad back person to another)

Jim

Yarael

As I cant stand for very long without my knees killing me I sit. I went and got a "drafting chair" from Office Depot. It goes up pretty high which works for me when I go over to the DP as it is up high on a part of a workbench. It is hard for me to find stuff for my hight as I am kind of short. So that drafting chair which is on wheels works out great for me. It is also nice to just wheel around between everything at least for me it is.
Here is basically the one that I have.
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=536854&N=201645&An=browse

Hi Coop, JimGo is right, I have to sit to turn for health reasons. My operation is simple, I have a 4'x 30" thick wood top that sits on top of 2 saw horses and the seft horse is turned out a little bit so I can get closer. I use an old office chair so I can scoot all over the shop! I also have an RBI scroll saw that came with a wheelchair acessible table that is the same height as the Jet's table.[:D]. When I go out there in a few min I'll take some pics and send them to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom