site that shows bushing order for atlas pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodWizard

Looking for better site than woodcraft that will show me the bushing placements for pens...im working on a Atlas...and woodcrafts instructions are very basic...would like another site that offers better instructions

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

The woodcraft instructions are about as detailed as you're going to find. Tells us which step confuses you and we can help.

WoodWizard

I had found a site lastweek...that was better...it had USA in the title...and I didnt save the damn thing. Just overall stuff...most of the kits that woodcraft has are very well done, but there are some like this one, that are just basic info. like the size difference on the bushings

evanslmtd

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus

KenV

Keith -- If you do not have yet -- acquire a direct reading calipers -- either the electronic version or a dial reading one. (I find the battery part of the electronic ones is a hassle and stick with the dial version). I have developed the practice of checking the hardware size against the bushings, and that tells me the big end goes with the top and the little end goes with the nib -- and with the new bushings I got it told me that the bushings on the nib end were a bit big for the hardware -- enough so that it would not have been a smooth fit.

The Atlas has not been one I have been turning, but have knocked out a couple from splintered pacific yew and one from buckeye burl, and based on the outcome, will be doing some more. Will try some long spruce cones cast in resin to see how that works.

jkeithrussell

Well, I suppose it is good advice to own calipers and learn how to use them. Here is my problem with them: I can take 5 measurements on a mating surface (nib, finial, CB, etc.) and get 5 different numbers. They will be close, but not identical. Likewise, measure the material at the end of a pen blank 5 times, 5 different numbers. Even slight changes in finger pressure against calipers will marginally change the reading.

I've found that relying on a good set of John's cnc bushings produces better results for me than I can get with calipers. If the blank feels seamless and smooth against the cnc bushing, it will fit perfectly with the pen parts.

Still, for the simpler task of figuring out which bushings go where, calipers are a quick and easy solution.

GouletPens

I was going to pipe in here, but pretty much it's all been covered! It never ceases to amaze me the great information that gets passed around here.

Top Bottom