Single tube kit recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cseymour

Hello all
Beginning pen turner.
Looking to turn a single tube pen between centers.

Can anyone suggest some reasonably priced kits?

Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

I don't know why many people suggest that new turners start out with the slimline. Yes it may be lower in price, but for my money the Sierra has to be the easiest pen to turn and it really lends itself to TBC. The nib is not a press in fit so it can be used as a "feeler" gauge to determine that the blank has been turned to the right dimension. Nothing beats your fingers feeling the difference between the nib and the blank to know that you have it right. And the Sierra is a single tube pen. The post below came in just after I posted and I wanted to make the point that "true" TBC doesn't use bushings.

Last edited:

mmayo

A simple to make single tube pen is a Sierra. It turns easily and sells well. Be careful to read about a few of these pen kits and be sure you get the correct bushings and drill bit for the kit you buy.

Purple%20Box%20Elder%203%20smaller_zpsvwqcricp.jpg

magpens

Well ... lots of thoughts come to mind.

My favorite single tube pen at low cost is the Zodiac from ExoticBlanks.

That style is based on the Berea Twist Sierra and there are many variants of that basic style, but for my money, the Zodiac is the best value.

I also like the original Berea Twist Sierra and the Berea Click Sierra (different length tube).

I also like the 30 Caliber Bolt Action from PSI, and the Vertex Click from PSI (you can buy both of those at ExoticBlanks too).

For a long-barrel single blank, you can go for the Berea Long Boy and replace the two tubes with a single tube, discarding the center band and compensating the length of the barrel accordingly. . That makes the single best long barrel in the world.

Eventually, you might like to make a single blank long barrel by modifying a slimline, or better yet, a Cigar. . Tutorials for doing both are in the IAP library.

I am just in the process of making several dozen single barrel Cigars, and I am having a barrel of fun ... that makes a wonderful pen if you have the experience and tools to do it. . I did not follow the tutorial instructions in the library, but made up my own way to do it.

Last edited:

WriteON

I also like the 30 Caliber Bolt Action from PSI, and the Vertex Click from PSI

Those are a few of my favorite pens.
Civil War pen is great single tube pen.... Less than $8.00.
Also take look at the GT Knurl. All from PSI

The only single barrel pens I've made are the Longboy and a few Vertex. I prefer the Vertex, it's a quick, easy pen to make and the hardware presses in easily. With the shorter blank it's easy to get a nice straight barrel, and since the hardware has a bead where the barrel matches up, you don't have to be as exact with your tolerances. IMO it's a great pen for new turners.

TonyL

Sierras, Executives, any others where the outside dimensions of both ends have the same dimensions. I found these easier to turn than slims and trims (but $5 kits vs. $2 slime kits).

I really have nothing​ to suggest, but I've turned cigar and Slimlines and by far, the cigar is easier and more enjoyable to turn. It can be tricky and takes more attention to make sure you have your bushings in the right spot on the mandrel. I'm planning on making a vertex next from either PSI or Craft supplies.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom