Single Pen Shipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

What is the best way to ship a single pen domestically? A small flat rate box seems convenient, but for a single pen I wonder if a smaller custom box wood be cheaper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Yes, even a small padded envelope with extra packing.

Mailing via First Class is quite cheap but takes longer in transit than Priority FRB.

First Class has to be under one pound, though, I think. Certainly OK for one pen.

(I am in Canada, but know these things from doing a lot of shipping to/from USA)

duncsuss

"Cheaper" and "Best" are not the same thing.

If you're shipping a $20 slimline, it probably wouldn't make any difference -- but for a $150 pen, having (a) proper packaging, (b) insurance, and (c) tracking included in the price of postage makes the SFRB an obvious choice for me.

Last edited:

randym

I have an online business for that supports my other hobby and most of the items I ship are rather small and light. First class is up to 13 ounces and is very fast and reliable nowadays. I've had packages make it from Indiana to California in two days!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Woodchipper

I've had packages make it from Indiana to California in two days!
Randy, you have confirmed my conviction that there are still miracles in this world!!!!
I just sent out five pens to NE TN with the small flat rate box@$7.15, plus I took additional insurance due to the value plus I get tracking info. I wouldn't be comfortable sending a pen in an envelope.

BCnabe

I ship mine in 500 count baseball card boxes. I put the pen in a case and then a few packing peanuts around it.

First class postage is about $3.00-$4.00 depending on how many pens I'm shipping.

eharri446

You should be including the cost of shipping in your asking price, or at least let the customer know that shipping would be an extra $7.15.

When I ran my online company, I charge a handling charge as well as the shipping costs and other than the usual online scammers, I never had any legitimate customers complain about those costs.

Something to consider as well...

Do you put it in a gift box or at least a clear tube to protect it? Do you just dump it in the box with whatever padding you can find?

The very first impression someone has of you is when they open that box. Use it as an opportunity to impress.

Woodchipper

cost of shipping in your asking price
Always. If it is more than one item going to one place but different people, I amortize the cost over the number of items. This cost was figured in with the five I sent out yesterday.
Off topic about shipping- have you ever seen the S&H costs on things sold in TV. Some are 25-30% of the cost!!!! That's where they are making their money.

TonyL

I have shipped a single pen in a small padded envelope using 6 stamps. According to the USPS website, I could have gotten away with 5.

Woodchipper

Tony , better safe than sorry. I mailed a lab report to the VA hospital in Murfreesboro, TN. It came back with the stamp, "Moved." Hello?????

randym

I've had packages make it from Indiana to California in two days!
Randy, you have confirmed my conviction that there are still miracles in this world!!!!
I just sent out five pens to NE TN with the small flat rate box@$7.15, plus I took additional insurance due to the value plus I get tracking info. I wouldn't be comfortable sending a pen in an envelope.
I've packed thing in a small flat rate box and then put it in a poly bag to ship it first class. As long as it is ,13 ounces or less, it can go first class. That includes tracking as well since I ship using PayPal shipping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom