Single Acrylic Stands?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgray

I've been looking around for those acrylic stands that I see a lot of you fellas use in your photography.

It's an acrylic stand that holds only one pen...shaped like an "L" but at an acute angle.

I'm sure that they are easy to find, but I tried Arizona Silhouette, CSA, HUT, and Penn State, and can't find them.

I'll keep looking, but I'm sure that someone can point me there quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtate

There are strips of plexiglass already cut to appropriate widths in the trash bin at your local Lowes Hardware. Heat over the eye on the stove and bend them while soft but before the plexiglass get bubbly. Bubbly is too hot.

Ravenbsp

I agree, making your own is the cheap an easy way to go. I wrap the ends of the strip with masking tape before heating (I use a painters heat gun, but the stove would work as well) to protect the straight portions of the stand from overheating and becoming opaque.

Bryan

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Ravenbsp
<br />I agree, making your own is the cheap an easy way to go. I wrap the ends of the strip with masking tape before heating (I use a painters heat gun, but the stove would work as well) to protect the straight portions of the stand from overheating and becoming opaque.

Bryan
I just made a batch of these on the weekend by using an old toaster that my wife wanted thrown out. Incredibly easy to do and if you get hungry you can just spread some jam on these and you have a filling snack. Do not throw away your old toaster[;)]

-Peter-

jeffj13

I make my own as well. A micro-torch is perfect for heating just the bend.

IIRC, there was a thread not long ago that was a tutorial on how to make them.

jeff

opfoto

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but there was a thread mentioned regarding how to make these stands. I cannot seem to locate it despite my search attempts. Can someone point me in the right direction or post the quick and dirty on the how to's? Thanks

les-smith

I made one last night using what Dario and Fangar had to say in this post:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17018

I used a propane torch and a vise. I clamped the plexi in the vise where I wanted to bend it, heated it up and then bent the plexi to the desired angle. I went ahead and heated up the whole stand after I was done bending it, not so much that I lost the bend in the plexi, but enough that it caused the plexi to go even more crystal clear than usual.

MikeHelvey

I'll make and ship one of these...

2006-10-31_020419_Single_Vertical.jpg

$5ea + shipping.

I have some horizontal ones as well, for 1 to however many pens you want.

Mike Helvey

MikeHelvey

If you see something you like there I can duplicate the style for $5 for a single...and price out anything else for you. I just enjoy making stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom