Simple (probably dumb) question re: Cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warreng8170

I bought a couple of cigar kits along with the bushings and bit in the last CSUSA group buy. I was looking to buy some more, but was thinking of getting them at Arizona Silhouette along with a few other things. My question is: Do all cigar kits, regardless of manufacturer, use the same size bushings or do I need to order another set of bushings from AS to go along with their kits?

Thanks,
Warren

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I think it depends on how perfectionist you are about your pens.

I have used everyone's kits and everyone's bushings. Once in a while, they don't fit exactly right - I only make one kit, then assemble for just this reason. When they are not PERFECT, I will use a caliper to "fine tune" the next ones.

They are always "usable" if you're not the "perfectionist" type (this assumes you put the bushings in the correct order[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

pipeyeti

Originally posted by ed4copies

I think it depends on how perfectionist you are about your pens.

I have used everyone's kits and everyone's bushings. Once in a while, they don't fit exactly right - I only make one kit, then assemble for just this reason. When they are not PERFECT, I will use a caliper to "fine tune" the next ones.

They are always "usable" if you're not the "perfectionist" type (this assumes you put the bushings in the correct order[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

Ed! your not a perfectionist!:D

I have alsofoundthat the cigar bushings and kits seem to be interchangable

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No, we stopped Mudder's BICkering!

And, I dispose of imperfect pens that I SEE. My eyesight is known to be VERY imperfect.

AND, there's the issue of WHAT cracked on the WAY TO THE SHOW!!! Had THAT conversation with a customer once. He was HOLDING one of my buffalo horn pens, he could FEEL the crack as I told him it was fine (this was BEFORE I knew it was capable of cracking). When you sell pens long enough, you can make a real jackass out of yourself at least a couple times!!!

Hope this will help you avoid the same mistakes. FEEL the pen, if they tell you it SEEMS cracked!!!![:0][:0][:0]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by ed4copies

No, we stopped Mudder's BICkering!

And, I dispose of imperfect pens that I SEE. My eyesight is known to be VERY imperfect.

AND, there's the issue of WHAT cracked on the WAY TO THE SHOW!!! Had THAT conversation with a customer once. He was HOLDING one of my buffalo horn pens, he could FEEL the crack as I told him it was fine (this was BEFORE I knew it was capable of cracking). When you sell pens long enough, you can make a real jackass out of yourself at least a couple times!!!

Hope this will help you avoid the same mistakes. FEEL the pen, if they tell you it SEEMS cracked!!!![:0][:0][:0]

Folks,

This has got to be one of the biggest understatements that I have ever read.

This is NOT a BICker Mr. Brown for every once in a while there is a moment of truth, or a Freudian slip. [:0]

We've just witnessed one of those moments. [8D]

redfishsc

Lord have mercy, boys, now y'all don't get your panties all in a wad!

Now, to answer the original question, I've made cigars from about everyone that sells them and I have bushings from most every one, I can't tell one from the other and they all seem to work just fine.

I do, however, have a preference for CSA's bushings, the nickel plating on them seems to help them last longer, but it may be my imagination.

stevers

I personally don't trust the bushings for final fit on most pens. Maybe slims and some euro's. I use a caliper on most to make sure they are right on.
As far as fit to mandrel or bushings to tubes, I have noticed little or no diff between.

Top Bottom