Simple Cigar Mod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

This is a simple cigar mod that I like. I'm sure its been done before, but I thought I'd post it for people who havn't tried it. It really changes the lines on the pen (I like it better). It shortens the pen a little, but I find the length to still be good. If you wanted to retain the original pen length, you could get a longer upper tube.

First pic is the pen. I simply left off the CB, so the coupler ring showing is all there is for a CB.

To do this you need to shorten the activator tube by the length of the CB. Pic 2 shows an activator marked for cutting. I used the band saw.

To keep the upper tube from feeling loose, I pressed a portion of the CB into the tube, I mounted the CB between centers and turnd the thick part down to the tube inner diamerter (sorry, no pic). I then pressed what was left of the CB all the way into the upper tube. Pic 3 shows the tube with modded CB pressed inside. I used a countersink bit to chamber the brass, which improved the fit against the coupler.

I turned the center smaller than the coupler ring. The ring is rounded over, so I intentialally made it so the rounded ring sits proud of the barrels by about 1/64"

Give it a try. It will give you a second style for your cigars.

Another option is to turn the ring off the coupler and making a custom CB. Adds a bit more work, but opens up even more customization.

Attachments

• DSCN1082.JPG
    DSCN1082.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 617
  • DSCN1084.JPG
    DSCN1084.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 394
  • DSCN1083.JPG
    DSCN1083.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Wow. I really like that. It dresses up the cigar kit very nicely. Great job, it is a beautiful pen.

MatthewZS

I love the cigar style, OTHER than it's center band which never sat right for various reasons. That is a nifty mod and a very nice looking pen! Thanks for showing.

ldb2000

Good job Dennis , it looks great . Another way to handle the looseness of the upper barrel without the CB is , instead of cutting down the CB , drill the upper blank from both sides . Use the drill you would use for the tubes but only drill 3/4 of the way through the blank and cut the tube to fit and glue it in , then drill the centerband side with a smaller bit , same size as the hole from the centerband . Now the blank will fit correctly over the tranny and you can still press the finial/activator tube into the tube in the finial side and if you cut the blank a little longer to make up for the length of the CB , you don't have to cut the activator tube . I really do love cigar kits , they are even more versatile then slimlines .

That mod looks great! With a really nice blank such as the one in the photos the center band can be a distraction when the pen is finished. I'll have to try this although I'm still working my way up to blanks like yours.

Chris

soligen

if you cut the blank a little longer to make up for the length of the CB , you don't have to cut the activator tube .

I thought over-hanging the wood, but with the segmenting I didn't want to risk it. I also thought about getting a longer tube, but decided just to use the kit tube and have the pen shorter to see how I liked it.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Super innovation and execution. I especially like the design element of the best combination of turned material and kit. Now, is there anything we can do to improve on the butt ugly clip supplied with the standard cigar kits? I'm using the more costly cigar kits just to get away from that clip.
WB

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
clip issue

Bill: I just take a piece of 18 ga. electric romex, cut off the insulation and bend up the bottom end a littleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Only joking. The clip is my most distasteful feel for the cigar!!

MatthewZS

Question for you..... I gave this a shot myself, shortening the activator tube like you did, but the top of the transmission tops out in the fineal/plug (whatever you call that bit) and prevented the blank from coming all the way down to the band. Is there something I missed? Was your blank make a bit longer or?? I can't see a mechanical way to do this OTHER than making the blank longer.

Thank you:)

Top Bottom