Silver/grey blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

I have a customer that wants a silver/grey pen. I have tried the silver/grey inlace and it did not have the pop she was looking for (fortunately I showed it to her before assembly). Anybody have any suggestions/sources.

Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Richard,

I usually keep a close eye on plastics. If she didn't like that, I think she is SOL (spit out of luck)! Sorry, that's nice stuff (pain to turn, but really pretty pen.

arehrlich

I believe that HUT has aluminum barrels that can be turned with most wood turning tools. This would give a silver grey - albeit - aluminum pen.

"The barrels are supplied in the correct length. Simply glue in the tubes, slip them on the mandrel and turn them down to the bushings.."

Not the traditional wood pen - but hand made!

Alan

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Berea has some real nice acrylics that might fit the bill... I just got some, have not turned it yet, but from the looks of the blank it should be real nice... the two I am talking about are AA-02 and AA-X... the AA-X I think will be closer to what you are looking for..

coach

I got some polyester resin in today with some colorants and luster powders. Someone posted a pdf about how to make your own blanks with it awhile back. One of the colors I ordered was smoke. I bet if you mix it with the sparkle luster powder it would give you that effect. I'm hoping to mix some up later this week, I'll let you know how it looks.

53Jim

RPM,
Coach just posted something about using poly resin; I have just emptied my first gallon of the stuff. I experimented with one (1) drop of black and a good sized scoop of pearlwhite (pearl dust).
What I ended up with is a very nice silver/gray/black pen blank. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to go downstairs to get the blank so I can scan it, but tommorrow I will post a picture.
Poly/resin is fun to play with - give it a try....
HTH
53Jim

jenamison

You are right! Hmm I don't seem to see it either. However I know that I get it from Sheila. I know that if there is something that Sheila does not have on her website from PSI. She will get it anyways at the discounted price usually. I don't buy directly from PSI anymore I only go through Sheila. You can see it on PSI's website but it does not give it justice until you turn a piece.

WoodChucker

Check with Anthony (Penworks) he makes a resin one he calls Black Ice thats really pretty. Or just look through his album for it. He might sell you a blank , but don't tell him I sent you. [:D]

mick

Saw a silver crushed velvet today at Woodcrafters and got an April catalog....lol, along with other stuff that just jumped into my hands!
RPM.....On another note I bought some black and silvery grey dymondwood off eBAY ......think your customer would want that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom