Silver and Gold Wire

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

Does anyone have a company they can recommend that could supply me with jewelers wire in solid sterling silver and gold.? It would need to be a medium size wire for pen inlays. Thank you for your help. I've found some places but would love to have a recommendation.

:D:)[8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

I get mine from Santa Fe Jeweler's Supply. I get 1 x 1mm square wire of each. They special order it from Stuller. A length of 18K Royal Yellow Gold 12" long is $78. The same thing in platinum 950 is around $257. Silver is cheap and comes in coils. I get several feet of that for a few bucks.

DWK5150

Originally posted by btboone
<br />I get mine from Santa Fe Jeweler's Supply. I get 1 x 1mm square wire of each. They special order it from Stuller. A length of 18K Royal Yellow Gold 12" long is $78. The same thing in platinum 950 is around $257. Silver is cheap and comes in coils. I get several feet of that for a few bucks.

Bruce

Any idea what the difference is in the platinum 950 and 955??

gerryr

If I recall correctly, Vacaville is not too far from San Francisco-Oakland. Look in the telephone book under jewelry making supplies or jewelry findings. You should find several places that sell the stuff. You should also be able to get silver wire from places that cater to bead stringers.

btboone

Hi Don, the 950 or 955 designates how much platinum there is per 1000 parts. The remaining stuff varies, but is usually something to help the platinum flow when cast or to improve strength. Rhodium and iridium are some of the stuff used.

btboone

Most of the jewelry supplies get the precious metals from one big supplier. That big supplier won't deal with individuals. Most of the metals are special ordered from them, and they usually get a weekly shipment from them. Some of the jewelry supplies stock some different alloys such as 14k gold and the sterling silver. There are different colors of gold including green gold, bright yellow, yellow orange, peach, white, and pink available.

Rifleman1776

Pawn shops get a lot of 10K and 14K gold chains. Usually the just sell as scrap to dealers. A small chain inlaid then sanded down might have in interesting effect. And it would be a whole lot cheaper than pure gold wire. Just a thought.

Johnathan

Thank you everyone for your help. I have a friend that is a jeweler and will be able to order me the materials at wholesale. Just a phone call, and your recommendations gave me the idea.

Bruce, I went to the Sante Fe Jewelry Supply and they have all kinds of stuff! I could spend way too much money in the name of art!

Now that I've taken up pens this past year, I feel like a little kid. My wife says she has never seen anyone get so excited over a piece of wood in the store. I'm glad I found a place where everyone uderstands that same feeling!

Thank you all for making me a better penmaker and artist.[:)]

btboone

I would agree with her assesment with regard to working with silver first, and when you get good at it, advancing to gold. Gold is a lot harder to form and work with, and it is a lot more expensive. White gold is downright difficult to work with due to its hardness.

TomServo

Try a rock shop - I worked with a guy who owned a rock shop in virginia beach, and they can order all that stuff, and generally will charge a very reasonable markup. He could actually get pure silver for me for right at the current market price - in the shape I wanted.

He also had spools of sterling silver wire in several gauges, and thin rods of fine silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom