silica bead packets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Does anyone have a idea as to where I can purchase:
[FONT=&quot]silica bead packets[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

They are beads the take out the moisture in the air.

Read this tip from another turner from their site. By taking several of these bead packets and placing them into a jar you help prevent CA failure by housing a non-moist area for the CA glue. .
[/FONT]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spnemo

You would be better off buying a rechargable dessicant, silica packets are a one use product and they do wear out. Check at a local coin shop, they often carry this type of thing.

hdtran

If you want to buy them, any industrial supply houses will sell them. The minimum order quantity and shipping will kill you, but I suggest McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com, 10 small bags desiccant, item 2189K11, $2.26 for the package of 10).

You will find them in medicine bottles, shoe boxes when you buy new shoes, etc. Just don't throw them out. Stick them into a low oven (200 F) for a few hours (2 hrs or so). Don't leave the oven unattended! After they are out of the oven & cool, just put them into a ziploc for long term storage, until you want to use them.

An alternative, if you have a swimming pool or if you use a sidewalk de-icer, is to use calcium chloride as a desiccant. Dowflake calcium chloride is a common swimming pool water hardener and sidewalk de-icer, and can also be used as a desiccant. Minimum quantity is I think 50 lb bag? But if you already use it for your sidewalk, just grab a handful for the tupperware container with your glue.

PenMan1

Bill:
Something that works better and is much less expensive is Damp Rid or No Damp. This product is about a pound of silica gel in a special container. These products can be found at boat and sporting good stores, sporting goods sections of discount supercenters and home improvement stores. I use NO Damp all the time and it works great.

okiebugg

Dessicant

Bill:
Something that works better and is much less expensive is Damp Rid or No Damp. This product is about a pound of silica gel in a special container. These products can be found at boat and sporting good stores, sporting goods sections of discount supercenters and home improvement stores. I use NO Damp all the time and it works great.

FYI, another good use for the Dessicant or Camphor for that matter, (they both have the quality of moisture removal) is putting a small bag into each drawer of your tool box. They will have to be replaced more frequently becaused they are exposed to more moisture.

Dessicant and/or Camphor blocks reduce the amount of RUST that occurs on ferrous iron tools, ie. pliers, wrenches and the like. I keep a light wipe of camphor on my saws band, table, etc when I'm not going to be using them for a few days or weeks. I know that the camphor has an odor, but as long as it prevents rust I dont care

Sylvanite

Damp Rid or No Damp. This product is about a pound of silica gel in a special container.
Have they changed the contents of Damp Rid? I haven't bought any in years, but it used to be calcium chloride, not silica gel. Calcium chloride is much cheaper when bought in 5-gallon pails labeled as snow melt. It will absorb a lot of moisture out of the air, but you wind up with a tub of saltwater.

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

Dessicant and/or Camphor blocks reduce the amount of RUST that occurs on ferrous iron tools, ie. pliers, wrenches and the like. I keep a light wipe of camphor on my saws band, table, etc when I'm not going to be using them for a few days or weeks.
Lanolin is very good at displacing water on metal and thereby preventing rust. You can dissolve some (preferably liquid) lanolin in 99% isopropyl alcohol or kerosene. Keep it in a spray bottle and give your metal tool a light misting. The carrier evaporates, leaving a thin protective film of lanolin behind. Once there, the lanolin tends to stay put, so it will protect your tools even if you leave them out in the rain. It does wonders on sawmill bands. If you're a welder, lanolin works great preventing steel stock from rusting. Some people even use it on motorboat props.

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

Where would you get this lanolin?
I get liquid lanolin at http://www.vitaglo.com/7730.html. I make a spray mix with alcohol as a case lube for reloading and as a rust protectant as well. Anhydrous lanolin (solid form) can be purchased at pharmacies and soap-making supply houses. The place I last bought from doesn't seem to carry it anymore, but I see it for sale at http://www.essentialwholesale.com/s.nl/sc.9/category.152275/.f.

One of the nice things about working with lanolin, is that it's actually good for your skin.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom