Silestone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

Is Silestone suitable for turning? A friend has some left over from a kitchen remodel. I can get a pile of it for free, but I don't know whether it is workable like Corian.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

From the silestone website's FQ's:
1. What is Silestone? Silestone® is naturally beautiful, durable quartz. Silestone is the world's leading natural quartz surface - a superior stone for myriad interior surfacing applications because of its ideal combination of beauty and practicality.

2. What is natural quartz? Quartz is one of the hardest, most abundant minerals found in nature - only diamond, sapphire and topaz are harder. Besides beauty, the quartz in Silestone gives it extreme strength, making Silestone highly scratch-resistant.

There is a stone turning group on Yahoo. But, I think turning silestone may prove a bit difficult. It is definitely not as workable as corian, which is an acrylic.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Is Silestone suitable for turning? A friend has some left over from a kitchen remodel. I can get a pile of it for free, but I don't know whether it is workable like Corian.

gomeral

My folks had a silestone counter installed years ago. My dad gave me a razor blade and invited me to do my best. It made no mark, whatsoever. If it were me, I'd try turning it, but I'd use someone else's tools. :p

daniel

seawolf

To work the stone it has to be drilled with diamond bits and oil. To shape the stone it needs to be ground with water running on the stones. Check for lapidary shops in your area. Lapidary is a great hobby to. Some of the hobbiests might help you.
Mark

Top Bottom