Signing Your Work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanner

I've wondered for awhile now if any of you sign or stamp your initials or logo to either the inside or outside of the pens you make. I know Chris Higdon has that really cool H he stamps on his pens. I just thought that this is a form of art and signing the art is something that should be done.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

I don't sign pens but I do sign my wool spindles and nostes (wool posts) as it seems to make them much more valuable to the buyer!

rhahnfl

The wife and I bought my dad an electric branding iron years back for his wood work. Wouldn't quite fit on a pen but the thought is interesting. I think you should have some means of id'ing your work. Some sort of artist's mark if you will.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This question comes up fairly regularly. With the exception of a small mark, like Chris uses, I would be hesitant to sign a pen. I say this because as a buyer I wouldn't buy a pen with someone else's name on it. Personal taste and opinion.

mewell

We saw a person (Kirk DeHeer) doing demos at the Woodworking Show use a wood burning tool to sign the upper barrel where the clip goes. That way, it is signed, but not glaringly.

Tanner

Yeah, not looking for anything big, just small initials or logo or mark, barely noticable. Like what Ralph and Mark said, with a wood burning or branding tool for say under the clip. I think that's a great idea.

Rmartin

I had a branding iron made for my furniture pieces, but I would never "sign" my pens, I do however, add a signed details card with each pen.

Rmartin

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I gave a local penturner some wood long before I started making pens and as a thank-you, he made me a pen out of some of it. For the longest time I could not figure out what the little burn mark under the clip was from. I thought it was a defect! I finally figured out it was the letter "S" for his last name. I think it looks terrible and woud NEVER use a branding iron on one of my pens. That said, Chris Higdon has his laser engraved and it looks professional and very nice.

Dusty

Has anyone thought of having the back of the pocket clip laser engraved with a makers mark or initials? It would be hidden for the most part but it could be seen from the side
just my thought on the subject,
Chuck Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom