"signing" your pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I finally put some pens in my daughter-in-laws salon and sold one almost immediately. This was my first sale (I'm very new at this). Anyway, the customer wanted to know if I "signed" my work and if I did could she bring it back and could I sign the piece she purchased. This is not something I had considered, but I wanted to ask the experienced pen turners here. Do any of you put a unique mark/signature on your pens to act as an identifier that it is your work? Your thoughts...

Thanks

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
This has been discussed here. I don't think anyone has figured out a way to do that like most do with bowls, etc.. I think a common thing is to make up a card about the pen (material, kit, plating).. Then sign that to go with the pen.

arjudy

Kirk Deheer at CSUSA signs his work under the clip with a small engraving tool. I saw him demonstrate this before at one to the Woodworking Shows that CSUSA regularly attends.

Skye

a common thing is to make up a card about the pen

I'd go that route and number the pen on the card. You can also take a pic of the pen and keep it with the file named the pen number. It'll be obvious it's yours. It's basic, but it'll work.

S

spiritwoodturner

I really don't see how one could burn a signature on a pen, no matter how fine you ground the tip down. I have a MasterCarver unit that has a burner and a separate high-speed engraver/carver, but I don't think I'll be signing under the clip in the near future. I mean, what's the point? If it's completely under the clip, no one will see it, and if it spilled over on both sides, I would find that a distraction, personally. Almost a scar. Dirt and oils would also backfill it, and I don't think that would be attractive.

To me, the ultimate way to sign a pen would be to do what David Broadwell does, do your initial on the cap and make it a focal point of the design. I simply don't have the skills for that, but I do think that's cool.

I sign virtually everything else I make with the burner or the engraver, and date it too.

Dale

DSallee

I actually thought about doing this a few months ago but ON the clip but could not come up with a viable solution to marking the clip without damaging the finish.

So my second option was to have my caps near the finial opposite the the clip have my logo engraved into the finish. I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet but it's in the works. My avatar is the actual logo I will be using on all my pens.

On this same note, I also know that on "some" more expensive kits or certain blanks, this may degrade the look and/or value (maybe) ... unless you look at it as an "artists signature" which might increase the value?? ..... so I'm still thinking and working on a location for those type of pens. I guess it really depends on the pen and finish as to where the signature/logo will be placed.

Dave

woodboys

I don't know how it's done but it could be done. Haven't we all seen where they sculp on a grain of rice or do paintings on them.

ashaw

On my limited edition pen I have my hall mark engraved under the clip. It is there not to draw attention to my name but ensure the pen was truly made by me.

Mr Vic

Another method would be to scan your signature and print it out on decal paper. You'ld be able to adjust the size to the pen. Then after turning but prior to assembly you could place the decal on the inside of the tube. It would be visible either in the cap or when replacing a refill...Of course you would need to know to look for it.

Top Bottom