sign vinyl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDE

Could sign vinyl be used on blanks then ca over that? I'm not sure if the ca will cover. I guess it just depends on how many coats I use. I've been wanting to try decals but haven't yet, that would probably be better. Thanks for the help. Ted:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boz

There are many many kinds of vinyl. When you say sign vinyl what are you referring to? Cast or extruded? Reenforced or plain? Cast vinyl with adhesive on the back like what is used for vehicle wraps would be an option. Vinyl out gasses plasticizers over time and breaks down under long term exposure to UV light. Most of the inks used to print on vinyl are solvent based. Should be left to dry for a least a day before covering it. UV curable ink is an option but very hard to work with and the stuff is toxic. Like Edstreet said try it and find out.

Justin H

I honestly don't know...

I've done the decals on a couple of pens and they work a treat! Really slick and pretty easy. The hardest part for me with the decals, was printing them without wasting to much paper. That decal paper is expensive!

And of course waiting long enough for the decal to truly dry before putting the CA on. :)

I use Oracal 651 and it works great. Don't have to CA over the top, presuming you aren't covering the whole tube (haven't tried that).
You will need a real low tack release paper, which takes as much experimentation than everything else.
These were painted tubes then the vinyl put on top. If you have good paint adhesion, you won't have an issue with the transfer tape peeling up the paint when you remove it.

Attachments

• IMG_2606.jpg
    IMG_2606.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2585.jpg
    IMG_2585.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2584.jpg
    IMG_2584.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 132
Top Bottom