Sierra's making noise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rimo

I just finished a batch of 50 pens for a customer. I found 5 or so that sounded like something was loose inside when trying to write with the pen. I swapped out the transmission, spring & cartridge, one at a time to see if the noise would go away but it didn't. Could there be something in the nib end that is loose? Fortunately, I had some extras hanging around just in case. Has anyone else come accross this issue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Not yet, It irritates me also. Sort of gives a cheap quality to the pen. but I have never figured out a way to take up the little bit of looseness in the refill. Basically there is nothing wrong with the pen. But like you I do not like it.

Daniel

I know they make some awefully small o-rings. it would require that the owner switch it to every refill they put in the pen though. I'v thought of a little bit of tape at the end of the refill also but I always come back to the mod needs to be to the pen itself not the refill. from what I can tell the problem is the hole in the bib is just a tad to large and allows enough movement to make the noise. how to reduce the size of the hole is what I keep looking at.

Daniel

basically you need an o-ring (now try to follow this) with an I.D (inside Diameter) of the O.D. (outside Diameter) of the refill and an O.D that matches the I.D of the nib.
O-ring I.D = Refill O.D
O-ring O.D = Nib I.D.
You could probably fit this as far back as the shoulder on the refill and still add support to the refill. Liek I said before, modifying the refill does not fix the pen for me though.
maybe a very tiny o-ring right at the end of the nib that is held in place but I hove no idea if that can even be done.

MobilMan

Isn't the Wall Street the same pen? They don't make any noise. Got a question that maybe Daniel can give some thoughts on since you hear a lot of this with the Sierra. Do you have a way of re-drilling perfect center of the nib? Put a piece of tape [Scotch] over the end of the nib. Take something small [like the refill] & barely push the tape up into the nib just a hair. Then put a drop or two of epoxy down into the nib. After it's set up, re-drill thru the epoxy using a bit just the same size as the refill or a little smaller. If it's smaller, take a refill & use it to enlarge it to the right size. That would cushion the refill from hitting the nib & would probably be un-noticable. Whacha think?

Daniel

Richard, what you describe is what I was thinking along the lines of when I was saying modify the pen not the refill. I had not thought out a way to do it as much as you have. I suppose the only way to really know if something will work would be to try them. I will add to be careful no tot make the hole in the nib to small. it will cause the refill to bind. So it sort of becomes a to loose to tight situation. I got my only real experience with this when drilling the 50 cal bullets for the refills. I started small, to small and worked my way up. when the refill worked properly I also had movement. Not that anyone should not try to prevent it but I see a good chance that this might be one of those less than perfect things we have to live with.

MobilMan

John, can say it's almost unnoticable/invisible. I'd say 'perfect' fit.
Dan. You're quite right. But by doing this you could reduce the amount it's loose & the epoxy would cushion the side of the refill so it can't hit the nib. Can't really say what to do as I've never done the Sierra. Have a lot of Wall St 11 & the WS Click & will say it's a dandy of a kit.

Top Bottom