Sierras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

I have yet to get any but am interested in the group buy. My question is whether or not the black lower barrel found on some kits can be changed out for a turned one? I am not to fond of the black as I feel it detracts from a lot of the woods and acrylics I'd like to use.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I am not crazy about the "kit" (in this case I will call it a kit because the body of the pen, the part WE are in control of is so minute)
I would like to see the parts laid out similar to an instruction to see if the finished pen could be modified so it didn't look like one of thousands out there .
Anyone care to post a close up picture of the parts in the order they would go together.(but not assembled)
Something in the picure for scale and dimension would be nice also

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I guess Google must not work on your computer. [:p] All instructions for Berea kits can now be found on the Arizona Silhouette site. Thanks, Bill!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I was so used to NOT seeing berea instructions unless I bought the kits, I necver thought to look.
PSI has had instructions for their kits since I started turning pens.

Buzz

I too have found the Sierra a very popular style with customers (they're the ones that matter). There is a good range of finishes available and no pen is easier to turn or assemble. I dropped the Polaris from my range when I organised a supply of the Sierra and it sells far better in that segment of the market than the Polaris ever did.

Obviously though, the potential for artistic expression is limited in this kit.

redfishsc

So far I've read around here and TPS that the Sierra is a popular selling item, and I just don't get it (mind you, I have no gripes about selling them, lol). Personally I'm with eagle, it's ugly. It's design is wierd, the black nib end is way too big and way too plastic looking, and the decorative bands on top and bottom just don't look right, just too different from each other.

However, I must say that the black Ti and platinum kits I've seen posted in the Showoff forum are nice. Get rid of the black plastic look and slop on some nice metal and it's a much needed improvement.

cozee

I do like the Ti and Platinum ones also. I turn for the enjoyment and expresionism it contains. I have several blanks already cut, sleeved, turned, and finished awaiting kits, simply because I enjoy turning and love to see the finished wood or acrylic. I have a few favorites but usually once assembled I am eager to begin the next one. I am not to concerned with sales since I am not selling my pens, at least not at this time. And since I do not like the looks of a basic Sierra, I cannot put my best efforts into them. I do not personally like all the plastic. To me it detracts from the wood or acrylic and limits one's turning abilites. And as said previously, it limits one's artistic expression.

LanceD

The Sierra is my best selling pen. Men and women equally like the size and heft of it. The black part may look a little like plastic but there are no plastic parts on this kit.

cozee

So the black isn't plastic but plated or coated metal? If so this means it could be replated or coated. Hmmm, interesting.[:D]

Draken

The black is indeed powder coating over brass. If you look in my album, you'll see a pen where the PC was laser engraved off exposing the brass which was then polished. Made for a nice Valentines day gift for my wife.

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom